M6 classic .85 (use or protect)

I have a couple of M6 M6 classics, one with with a .85 viewfinder, although I tend to use larger formats nowerdays it still gets

taken around a bit, the thing is someone told me that it was a bit of a rarity.

Is this the case? it's already got it's first dent on the baseplate, is it a real rarity? thanks

You oghta see the dings, dents and brassing on my Leica M2-R (only 2,000 made!) not to mention the M4-P framelines and M4 style PC sockets I had installed years ago. Still, I was given an offer for $1,800 for it by an attorney at a political fund raiser a few months back. Use your M6. It's not going to become any less valuable.

Just use it. For whom are you saving it? When you die, it will just be part of your estate sale.

I have 3 M6 classic .85's because I like them. Of course if you like something, then production of that item will certainly be discontinued, which was the case with this camera. I use one of them and have the other 2 saved as backups in case of loss, theft, destruction or whatever. I am hoping to eventually wear all of them out before I die.

I've never understood the philosophy of collecting just to possess. Use the friggin' camera. It was made for it. So what if somebody with money and a vault wants it to hide it away for whatever reason. It has no value to a photographer if it's not making photographs.

Despite the fact that I don't understand the collecting but not using the camera thingy this camera is still for sale in the various shops. I wouldn't consider it a collectable.

(ps my wife does consider me a collector, but I use them all)