NEED ADVICES ON CHOOSING A 90 mm.

alfred_jarry

Hi everybody, I've been shooting with a Schneider APO Symmar 150 mm.

for the last 10 months and now it's time to buy my second LF lens...I

need a moderate wide angle and I was thinking about the new Schneider

Classic 90 SA f6.8, it seems a good compromise between weight, speed

and price...anyone using this lens? Comments, suggestions? Do I need

a centre filter? Is there other choiches I should consider

(Rodenstock, Nikkor...)?

Just to let you better understand my situation:

I shoot mainly landscapes, I hike a lot so weight is an issue, I'd

prefer a new lens instead of a used ones (but the XL series is too

expensive for me!!)...thank you

Alfred

<I>he new Schneider Classic 90 SA f6.8, it seems a good compromise between weight, speed and price...</I><P> It looks good (both appearences and specs), but yes you will needa center weighted filter especially if you shift.<P>The 90mm f/4.5 Grandagon or (the CAltar branded version of the same lens) is also an excellent choice, but is heavier. For 4x5 you won't need a center weighted filter.<P>You should really look at or for a 90mm f/4.5 or f/8 SW-Nikkor, an excellent combination of price, size (especially the F/8), & performance (huge image circle --235mm for both versions-- and resolution). <P>Which camera are you using?

You might like to consider a Nikkor SW 90/8. It's the lightest of the currently available 90mm's, yet has a very generous image circle (235mm), and (from my own experience shooting chromes) doesn't require a CF. The only drawback of course is the f8 maximum aperture, but with a good fresnel / bosscreen this won't be a problem.

I hope this was helpful,

Mike

The bases have been pretty well covered with the exception o fthe

Rodenstock (or Caltar branded) 90 mm 6.8 Grandagon. Less expensive and

lighter than the 4.5. I have long used the 6.8 Grandagon with no feeling of

problems or limitations. I must say though that either a wider lens (75mm

Angulon) or slightly longer (110 Super Symmar) get more use than the 90.

Wow!!!! Super fast, thank you Ellis, thank you Mike...

Ellis, I'm using a Gandolfi Variant Level 2, which I'm very happy with...

Mike, yes, it helps a lot, now I'm not so sure about the Schneider and I'm going to look for the Grandagon or Nikkor too...

And thank you Ted...but don't you think that the difference between a 150 and a 110 is not so noticeable?

I'm asking this because I considered a 110 too but ended convincing myself that a 90 is better because there's much more "distance" from 150...

I'm in the same boat as you and have narrowed it down to the Nikon 90/8 and Rodenstock 90/6.8 also. The Nikon does seem to have the advantages, lightest weight, biggest image circle of the slower lenes and lowest price. Also if you look at:

http://www.hevanet.com/cperez/testing.html#65mm_thru_125mm

it's damn sharp, even at f/11. In fact the numbers at f/11-16 are pretty amazing.

Good luck, Ed

I can't offer any advice on the Schneider Classic 90 SA f6.8 because I have no experience of it, but one important factor that nobody else has addressed so far is coverage. I appreciate that tilt & swing may not be needed for landscape use but does it have enough coverage to allow the amount of shift that could be needed?<br>For example, the Super Angulon 90mm has fairly good coverage, the 'ordinary/ Angulon doesn't.

I've been shooting with the Nikkor SW 4.5 90 and just wanted to mention that if you were to consider this lens, you must also consider the size of the filters that you would be using - 82mm. Other than that, I really enjoy using it and have gotten excellent results.

I just picked up a used Nikkor 90mm f4.5 SW for a very reasonable price. I found the F8 90mm Schnieder I own difficut to focus, so before you jump for a slow-ish lens, check out you are happy focusing it first. the Nikkor F4.5 SW is a lot easier to focus for me. F6.8 should be OK.

Generally, the Nikkor is not as big and bulky as I had expected. It is eminently back packable. With regard to filters, use a system like Lee, so all you need to do is buy a new adaptor ring.

Quentin

If you hike a lot, you might also consider bulk in addition to weight, Alfred. The symmetrical design of the Super Angulons takes up a lot of space in the backpack. Although you mention that the XL series is too expensive, you may ultimately be happier by waiting and saving up for it, than by making the compromise early.

Or to finance the XL purchase, sell the car (you can always walk to work), or one of the kids (if you have several, you might not miss just one). (lol)

Seriously, I find the 110mm Super Symmar XL ideal for landscapes (and various other subjects). It's reasonably light, compact, bright, has lots of coverage, doesn't need a center filter, and is delightfully sharp. It's worth scrimping for, IMHO.

Alfred,

At the moment I use an old Angulon 90/6.8 and have been considering either a Super Angulon or Grandagon. When comparing the published info about the new Schneider Classic 90/6.8 Super Angulon against the Grandagon-N 90/6.8 I was surprised at how much bigger and heavier the Schneider lens seems to be. The S/A Classic weighs 655g against the Grandagon's 460g and the front/rear element sizes are 90/80mm against 67/60mm. The image circles are about the same at 216mm and 221mm. The Classic is only marginally lighter than the S/A 90/5.6!

Alfred,

Two answers to your second question to me. First, no, I don' tfind 110 to 150

the be that close in spacing. If you put the 90 mm and the 110 mm into 35mm

lens terms you are talking a 4 mm difference ... ~the difference between 29

mm and 25 mm and both of them are significantly wider than the 150 mm.

BUT the 110 SS XL is expensive, you will be hard rpessed to find one, even

used, for less than 950.

Second, it is, to a large extent subjective when you are talking about

landscape photography. It is finding the lens that "sees" your vision best. I,

like so many others, have adopted the SS XL 110 as sort of my 'standard'

landscape lens. It has become of standard of many in the 2-3 years it has

been on the market because of its resolution, sharpness, contrast and

coverage. Not saying that I don't use a 90, I do. Just that when I am selecting

what goes along to the field for landscape work and I am limiting my weight

and space then I take the 75 which is about the same size and weight as the

90. Again it is all about choices.

When I am traveling ultra light, one lens, it is the Sironar-S 135. When it is 2

lenses it is that and the Fujinon 240A. Both light and both tiny in comparison

to others. When I add a third lens it is either the 75 or the 110. Four lenses

and it is all of those, add another and it will be the 90 .... and yes ....

sometimes it is a 150 Apo Symmar instead of the 135 but not often.

I like the image possibilities of the 90 but I prefer the potential of getting in

close and tight with the wides possible lens, thus the 75.

As you will read in so many threads here ... try first. 75, 90 and 110 are all

reasonably easy to find for rent. Rent one or two of them for a day and you

will know a lot better.

Luck

"Alfred, do not buy any f8 wide angle lenses! You cannot see anything except a lit bulb through them."

baloney - get your eyes tested - or a better GG!

I use a 90mm f8 (nikkor) (and sometimes a 75mm f8) for interiors quite frequently. Occasionally it's a little dim around the edges, but not that much of a problem. Most of the time it's fine. And that's just with a standard GG and fresnel. I could improve it with a Maxwell screen, but it's not that much of a problem. And outdoors, it's just fine

If choosing between the slower than f/5.6 90mm wides, I believe the

Nikkor 90mm f/8 SW is the only one that has 8 elements. The others

are 6 element. (someone correct me if I'm mistaken) Hence the larger

coverage and superb image quality. I use this lens and have no problem

with the f/8 being too dim on the GG.

mmmmmhhh, lots of good advices here, thank you, tahnk you very much, I really have a lot of stuff to think about during this weekend ;)))...well, at this point I think that renting the lenses should be the right choice, just to check the different focal lenghts and the difference between an f5.6 and a f8 and then decide if it's the case to save money and purchase the 110 XL ;)))...but I have another doubt...in the last two months I find myself and my camera much more close to the subjects, expecially when I was NOT shooting landscapes, and I realize that I was using my 150mm at its limits, I had a lot of DOF troubles...with a WA lens the DOF should be better and I was wondering if a 75mm is better than a 90mm and more suitable to my needs: dramatic landscapes - architectural "close up" studies...

Alfred, I agree that you are ready for a second lens. After almost a year of work you have your 4x5 feet on the ground. Lenses last much longer than cars. I'm not trying to overtax your budget. However, I would suggest giving serious consideration to the Schneider 110. I'll state up front that I don't own one, nor have I actually even seen one. The 110 seems like a significant improvement over the venerable 120. The covering power is huge, which would be very useful if you do any architectural work. 110 seems like a very useful length-wide, but not really wide. With either the 90 or the 110 you may eventually want another wider lens. I think the 110 could be a real work horse lens.

I view things from the perspective of 22 years with 4x5. A little more wait so save for a really stellar lens seems like time well spent.

Alfred,

Also take into consideration the filter size. The new Schneider Classic 90mm f6.8 needs 82mm filters. The Rodenstock Grandagon 90 6.8, Schneider Super Angulon 90mm f8 and Nikon 90mm f8, all with the same image circle, take the more affordable 67mm size and weigh considerably less.