How to set Nikon Z6 to show B&W in the viewfinder while saving color RAW images

iKokomo

Humm, I've never used it but what is 125 exactly? If it's a wheel, is that a rotational angle?

It's the hue expressed in degrees. 125 is green.

Nik also allows the user to adjust how much that filter is weighting the RGB values, if I understand the controls correctly, in the black and white conversion.

In the more recent Nikon cameras that are not supported by Capture NX2, I have typically selected the green filter for my mono in camera settings so as to provide the closest match to what I used to use in Capture NX2. It doesn't give exactly the same result though, but it's usable and allows me to view the oucome in camera.

The main objectives I have for the black and white I use is that it should make skin smooth and yet provide good overall contrast in images of people.

• Like 1

[quote=".................

I tried the trial of current DXO Nik collection and it still takes several seconds to apply black and white conversion in PS. And then the conversion settings are applied but to my knowledge they can't be tweaked without going back steps and into Nik. In Capture NX2 all the settings (curves, white balance, control points, black and white conversion settings) could be changed in any order. As it is in Lightroom, of course, just that I haven't figured out settings that I like for black and white yet.

After selected one of the presets in Silver Efex you can still make a lot of adjustments to that one, and after returning to LR you may continue to make adjustments, you do not need to go back to Silver Efex.

Hmm. Would it be possible to generate a black and white conversion profile using the colorchecker? I.e. by photographing the chart, then converting it to black and white using whatever tool gives me the result I want, and then create a color profile that could be used to generate similar conversions by selecting from develop / camera profile.

That's done automatically in one of the conversion options. I think "Lightness" IIRC. It takes the visual brightness of a colour, according to a standard percetual brightness mapping, and converts it to the appropriate shade of grey.

Come to think of it, I might be confusing GIMP's conversion options with PS here. I use the two almost interchangably, and I'm not near my workstation computer at the moment.

just that I haven't figured out settings that I like for black and white yet.

In my view, those settings will change from shot to shot, depending on the effect/mood you're after.

Will it look better with light brickwork and a darker lawn, or vice versa? Or does the sky need to be lighter or darker than that foliage? It totally depends on what looks right. And you can get two or more totally different mono conversions from just one colour original.

Edited by rodeo_joe|1