Canon is releasing the D10, in short...a D60 with better autofocus

and less noise.

I am a quite content user of the D60 but quite disapponted with the

AF function and the 3 gunsights, now the D10 solves this by giving us

7 gunsights.

What options (if any) are open to D60 users, aside from selling up,

to upgrade their camera? (stupid question, but one borne out of

frustration)

Any views on this would be greatly appreciated.

Well, other than selling your D60 to upgrade to the 10D you could switch to film or you could save up for a 1Ds or you could take up tennis or you could switch to Nikon only to have them do to you what Canon did to you, etc.

In short, camera makers are taking on a personal computer marketing model when it comes to digital cameras. Whether that's good or bad depends on your point of view.

<I>"...camera makers are taking on a personal computer marketing model when it comes to digital cameras. Whether that's good or bad depends on your point of view." </I>

<P>

Since I'm one of those still sitting on the fence, waiting for prices to fall more as features rise, I think it's a great model. At least for now.

<P>

The D30/60 is still as good as it ever was. Continue using it for years to come... ...unless you are one of those that just has to have the latest, best new thing.

If it were me, I'd weigh out the options:

<br>How much can I get for my D60 and how far will it go toward buying the 10D? (don't even think about the loss you'd be taking on the D60, because that's not the issue. The bottom line is how much will it cost to get the 10D.)

<P>Once you are armed with that information, then ask yourself: "Is it worth it to spend $XXX to get the 10D?"

<p>If the answer is no, then stick with your D60 remembering that you had the satisfaction of owning your digital camera a year before new digital 10D purchasers.

<p>I currently shoot with an Elan IIe. I didn't even think about upgrading to the Elan7e when it came out and I don't plan to invest in the next Elan II/7 upgrade either. I have better places to spend my time and money.

If you are surprised that your less than one year old digital camera has reached the end of its production life then you simply have not been paying attention. What options are available? Why bother asking? It's pretty obvious. Buy a 10D and sell your D60, buy a 10D and keep your D60 as a backup, or stick with your D60 and wait for the 10D replacement. But realize that no matter what you do there will be a better, cheaper replacement coming down the pipe soon.

I'm sure that a year down the road, someone will be posting:<p>

"I am a quite content user of the D10, but qyite disappointed with the AF function and the 3 gunsights, now the 20D solves this by giving us 15 gunsights."<p>

Does your D60 work any worse than it used to before the 10D was announced? Of course not. There's always going to be something that's going to do it better and faster <i>down the road</i>. Echoing others, why not just enjoy what you have with the D60?

If most of your photos are taken at ISO 800 and above then it

might be worth the D60 to 10D upgrade. The WB has not been

improved at all, I always considered exposure bracketing a

waste of precious storage space, and now feel the same way

towards WB bracketing. Manual White balance in Kelvin degrees

sounds nice but in practice one wont always have the time to

tweak WSB several times until right. What a lot of us wanted is

an external WB sensor a la 1D or 1Ds, but Canon didnt think so.

Dont have much faith in the 7 spot AF for low light photography

either. Have read many 1D owners state how much their low

light AF improved once they got the STE2. With it the camera no

longer needs to "find" an edge (thats what the 7 AF spots are

for), as the projected pattern provides its own.

My D60 works great for low light work with the 420 EX deep red Af

pattern as well (not as good with telephotos). Check out a few of

my D60 + 420 EX reportage wedding pictures at

http://imageevent.com/jorgealban/sharffrajmanweddingsamples

The D60 is A LOT of camera, most of the complains and

moaning in the forums are from people who didnt bother to lern

to use AEL, AFL or FEL properly.

Will I get a 10D? Maybe as a second body, and only after a few

in-depth analysis have been posted. Canon is letting us buy it

for only 2/3 the original D60 price and is still making more profit

out of it., so it sounds fishy to me. Even if it is just as good and

US$ 700 cheaper, its still "only" 6 Megapixels and requires huge

and very expensive L zoom lenses to feed the resolution-hungry

1.6 X sensor ( and ultrawides too, for instance the 14 mm Sigma

EX lens I used to take this picture costed me US$ 800 and it was

a 'bargain" compared to the price of the Canon 14mm L!!).

Now what would truly complement my D60 system is a 9 MP (at

least) Leica M sized rangefinder body...but thats another story.

Jorge Alban

Costa Rica

Jorge, not an answer but a question. Can you use an EX flash as an AF light and supress the flash? Or is that not what you were doing (weddings pic did not have obvious flash - but this may have been intentional technique I guess). Or is the only way to do this with an ST-E2?

Ah, the ongoing debate over which camera to own. I've still got my EOS 3 and love it, knowing full well that there are many photographers out there who could shoot circles around me with a simple P&S!! If I though it'd make me a great photographer I'd get a 1D in a heartbeat!

I am happy just to have finally got a 1N. Neither the D60 or the 10D are near the camera I have with it. I will shoot with it unti lthe 1Ds gets to around $4000, Then I'll go digital. I refuse to do the downgrade thing I did when I went T90 to Elan7. From what I have read about the D60 and the few peices of info oput there on the 10D it is great for the guys out there wanting to play with digi. for now, image quality and the ability to control my camera are more important. The only way to keep that is to go wit ha 1Ds that right now I cannot afford. So for now, film is fine.

Yes Colin you can use the AF assist light ONLY and not have the

flash fire. It is Custom Function No. 5 set to position 3: Emits/

Does not fire.

On the other hand, I rarely use this setting since by the time the

light levels get that low, people photos almost always benefit

from a little fill. To do it right I filter my flash, try different white

balance settings and ALWAYS bounce light off a ceiling, wall or

white card.

Digital phtography is about control. If I could always shoot 645

film with polaroid previews at no additional cost AND have the

time to use a colorimeter and three dozen CC filters AND have a

Master Color Printer contrastmask, selectively color bleach and

dye retouch my prints, I wouldnt care about Photoshop or digital

capture....

A few more "guys out there wanting to play with digital":

http://www.dg28.com/previousmonths.html

http://www.pbase.com/russruth/root

http://www.mastrianniphoto.com/

Jorge

>> To all D60 users...WHAT NOW?!!!

Nothing. Keep your D60 and go on a 1500$ vacation as one poster suggested. Use what you have instead of dreaming of what you could have had. Dreaming and postulating can be nice but don't forget that you still have a great body. Use it.

I am still a film user and will keep it that way until I can afford a DSLR body which I can live with for a long time. For me it's the 1D. 1.3X cropping factor does not disturb me much (1.6X does), AF is the best around and the rest of the features is above and beyond my photographic capabilities.

But the 70-200/2.8 USM L IS is on the top of my current list. Better lenses, you know....

Happy shooting ,

Yakim.

I've got a D60. At the point where I will have saved enough in film and processing to pay for the cost of upgrading to a 10D, that would be the first moment I would even give it a second thought. As a user of the 1V, I respectfully claim the experience to call the "upgrade" to a 7-point AF sensor Mickey Mouse. My last-ditch-backup Rebel 2000 body has 7-point AF sensors. Big deal. It doesn't have anywhere near the functionality of the 45-point setup in the 1V. And let's not forget that the screen area covered by the D60's 3 AF points is much greater (due to the smaller overall screen area)than the Elan bodies with 3 sensors. As far as low-light goes, it isn't something I'd do with a digital anyway. Leica, 1.4 lens, Delta 3200.

Until there is a full-frame CMOS in a 10D-priced body, I'm sticking to the D60. In a couple years I'll buy a used 1Ds for $2000.

I have a D60 and a 1V. Using all the focusing point's on the 1V is slower than just using the centre point. Also the other focusing point's are not as quick as the centre.

As for the D60 ok but not great in good light, but low light, for get it. If you want to improve the focus on any of these cameras, then stick a transmitter st-e2 on top of the camera. This is normally used with a 550EX flash gun, as a remote. But what you find if you try to focus on a white wall, the camera can not do this, but it will with the transmitter.

As for the 10D, canon have said the have improved the focusing in low light and that the camera can keep up with a moving car at 31mph. Also the shutter lag time is quicker and there is a new focusing mode. But I guess we won't know until it comes out.

I will get one for sure, so it's bye D60 and 1V and buy,buy 10D

If you sell your $2000.00 D60, maybe you will get on Ebay the $1500.00 you

need to buy the new D10. Just consider that this is a never ending story and

maybe in a year or so Canon will release a D20, D30 or a D40 with 10 plus

MP for less than $1000.00. Then you will be able to sell your D10 for $350.00

at the most. I am sure you didn't complain about the D60 when you first

bought it. The same with th D10. Now is a beauty, in 6 months, a bargain.