Underexposure reading with F100/SB28

salva

When using A mode on my Nikon F100 and SB28 in indoor shooting (no-

fill flash), the reading always shows underexposure of 1/1.5 stops.

Should I ignore the reading? It seems like in A mode, it ignores the

fact that it will be shooting with the flash.

Any views?

Thx

What shutter speed reading are you getting in "A" mode? I think that unless you set the camera for slow flash synch, the shutter speed will not drop below something like 1/60 s. This could give you the underexposure reading.

I frequently use my Nikon cameras in Manual mode when using flash. I also set them for slow sych with rear curtain synch. This allows me to set the shutter speed lower to get move ambient light in to help prevent black backgrounds and control the depth of field by choosing the f-stop.

That is indeed the case.

I think it reads the light from the environment.

But in parties and things like this i cannot afford slow sync....

Do you think I should ignore the underexposure sign?

Salvatore,

I'm confused... Is it your flash in "A" mode or your camera? What settings are you using on the camera? Is the underexposure on the flash or the camera? If on the flash then that is a dialed in setting, you just need to push the "+" button until it is at zero.

If the underexposure is what you're seeing on the camera's LCD/viewfinder then you can, indeed, ignore it and just accept the fact that the background will go dark on you.

As suggested, you should probably be shooting in either Shutter priority or manual mode with flash indoors. You can then keep your shutter speed within the flash-sync range and even go slow enough to allow more ambient light into the scene. Keep the aperture relatively wide to maximize ambient light and minimize recycle times and power drain on the flash. Make sure that the exposure compensation of the flash is at zero for indoor use as your primary light source.

Hope that helps, if you can answer the specific questions at the top I bet we can really help you out.

Thanks guys.

If I understand this right: Aperture priority on the camera will give underexposure. I will shoot Shutter priority.....

Very helpful!

One of my first messages (after years of reading) and I am impressed.....

<i>"..."Aperture priority on the camera will give underexposure"..."</i><br><br>

The thruth is somewhere in the middle. Very often the camera won't give you an underexposure. Of course, if you select f/32 and expect to light 100 meters (aprox. 90 yards) it probably won't work.

It depends on your flash's guide number if you get an underexposure or not. <br><br>

Remember that your shooting distance d with flash is: <br>

<br>

d = GN/aperture<br>

<br>

<u>Example:</u><br>The max. GN of the SB-28 is 50 meters (reflector at 85mm, ISO 100),

using the aperture f/8, your max. possible lightning distance is 6.3 meters. <br><br>

To light 100 meters at f/32 you'll need a flash with GN=3200...maybe 64 SB-28s would do it too... :)