PMA Any Nikon News?

gary_ferguson1

So what is the interesting news? A few new low-end P&S digicams? A few new G lenses, a new low-end film SLR? About the most interesing nikon news I can see is that the Kodak 14n is about to (finally) ship. Seems unusually ho-hum, unless there are more surprises to come.

Ho-hum is hardly what I'd call it. The introduction of AF-S VR G lenses is certainly something that has invoked a heated debate.

The Kodak 14n is fine other than those coloured stripes on the cheek of the first sample photo, and the lack of high-eyepoint viewfinder is something that will make me wait.

One day of the PMA has passed. Do you want to wait until the last day after people start leaving to announce something? As someone else pointed out, most of the significant announcements are usually made before the PMA so that you can spend the maximum amount of time during the PMA to promote your new produces.

The D1h and D1x are pushing two years old and Nikon still has no answer to the EOS 1D a year and half after that was introduced. This is certainly not a good sign. I feel like the early 1990's all over again when for several years Nikon had no answer to Canon's fast AF lenses and went from the dominant player in 35mm SLR to the distant second today.

And people in this fourm are mainly concerned about compatibility with some old MF cameras.

A Nikon F90X is harldy some old camera. And a camera-lens combination which cannot be operated in manual mode is useless to me.

You can bet that this is pretty much the most technical group of Nikon photographers in the world, desiring the newest whiz-bang more than any other. Photographers are in general more conservative than here.

Shun,

G lenses won't exactly propel Nikon into leadership of the SLR world. The problem with G lenses, from Nikon's prospective, is that they are sacrificing a group of users without gaining anything substantial on the technology side.

Anyhow, if that's all they have to show at PMA, it's a major disppointment. One would have hoped for a new digital body instead of 16 new Coolpix pieces of carp.

------------------------------------------------------------

"And people in this fourm are mainly concerned about compatibility with some old MF cameras"

Naji, I don't know how many times I need to repeat this, but G lenese will not sacrafice very many users at all. Within a few years most of us will be using DSLRs. Compatibility between G lenses and some old film body will be largely a non-issue.

As you well know, Joe McDonald switched to Canon because of the unreliability of the mechanical body/lens coupling. Hopefully G is merely the first step of moving towards a completely electronic body/lens interface. And the move to DSLRs is the perfect time to make this switch because future lenses don't need to be compatible with past film bodies.

I have to admit that I am very surprised that Nikon hasn't introduced any pro-grade DSLRs in almost two years. This is a rapidly changing field and two years is a long long time.

Naji, I don't know how many times I need to repeat this, but G lenese will not sacrafice very many users at all. Within a few years most of us will be using DSLRs. Compatibility between G lenses and some old film body will be largely a non-issue.

As you well know, Joe McDonald switched to Canon because of the unreliability of the mechanical body/lens coupling. Hopefully G is merely the first step of moving towards a completely electronic body/lens interface. And the move to DSLRs is the perfect time to make this switch because future lenses don't need to be compatible with past film bodies.

I have to admit that I am very surprised that Nikon hasn't introduced any pro-grade DSLRs in almost two years. This is a rapidly changing field and two years is a long long time. Perhaps Nikon is indeed focusing on the consumer/Coolpix area.

Although I'm already looking out for a DSLR suitable for my use, I don't expect to fully give up film in a long time. I have the following reasons:

1. In California, I had serious difficulty retaining detail in the land and the sea simultaneously. However, by using C-41 film, its inherent lower contrast may help. The recorded range of tones is greater in black and white and C-41 films than in either digital or slide film.

2. For similar reasons, print film is forgiving in exposure. This may be important in certain applications, such as weddings, concerts etc. I can't imagine shooting such events with digital except for possibly the speed advantage.

3. If I need a large number of small prints (at a modest cost), C-41 is again a good choice. No digital printing technology that I know of can touch the quality of 4x6 prints in my favourite C-41 lab. YMMV

4. Large volumes of pictures at high resolution can be stored in a small package with film, and no editing is necessary before I reach the light table at home.

5. I like the features of my film cameras. Unfortunately, the D1X is the only Nikon-compatible camera which would qualify, and it's too expensive. I suspect that the D2 will be just as expensive (maybe even more so if it's full frame). It's probably going to take 3-5 years before the prices of a fully-featured digital body reach my price range. After all, the pricing of the pro digital bodies are based on how much the pro expects to save in terms of working time by using digital. The cheaper bodies will have irritating "features" which annoy the hell out of the user. A backup camera would also be nice, and that increases the cost beyond all thought. I will probably have my first backup DSLR in 2010.

6. Additional lenses needed to cover wide angle. New zooms to cover the range of focal lengths I used to cover with the 80-200 and 28-105. How much value is there really in digital? Hmm.

--

I know I'm a bit stubborn. While I'm not opposed to change in itself, I do oppose unnecessary rejection of perfectly good instruments which haven't been in any way worn to old age. And surely there are a lot of users which aren't even thinking about going digital. Many people just don't have the time for Photoshopping all evenings. Ok, it's time for me to have a break from this forum ;-)

<em>"Anybody have any ideas on price for that new 24-120

VR?" --Michael Bradigan<br>

</em><br>

Yes, its big and ugly, Its probably soft at the long

end like the other 24~120, it will have plenty of distortion (your

choice, barrel or pincushion) and its too damned slow. That

is to say you pay for the convenience with reduced image quality.

I hope Im wrong but I doubt it.