Nikon D800E?

derek_thornton1

I have had my new, used D800E for about a month and I am loving it. There is just one thing that bugs me and I think I know the answer but just want to make sure. With every other camera I own when I take a shot it instantly appears on my LCD. With the D800E, it takes 1-2 seconds before it shows on the LCD. Is this just a normal lag due to the 36MP sensor, or have I got a problem?

Thanks

derek-thornton.artistwebsites.com

Are you using the live view mode? On the D800/D800E, if you use live view, after you capture, the camera has to finish writing the image onto the memory card before it displays it on the rear LCD. If you happen to use a very slow CF card (or slow SD), the delay can be several seconds.

I have just tested it on my D800E. If I don't use live view, the image appears on the back LCD within a second.

It's more or less normal. You can minimize the lag by using the fastest compatible CF card you can get your hands on. That would be a UDMA 7 card with up to 160 MB/s write speed, such as a SanDisk Extreme Pro or a Lexar Professional 1066X. The D800 is slower with SD cards of any type.

Never use live view, I guess it is more like one second. Right after I take a shot I can say 0ne Mississippi, before the shot comes up. I am using Sandisk Extreme. I also use my CF as main card and SD as Backup. And I shoot RAW uncompressed.
derek-thornton.artistwebsites.com