2450 finally gone from b&h

roger_michel

not to preempt sandy, but it appears that the 2450 is going top the

scanner poll on the same day it was discontinued at b&h. what they

offer now is the 2400 (same chip, almost the same guts), but with

worse software and only a fairly useless 35mm transparency scanner.

for an extra hundred bucks, you can get a very good transparency

scanner that takes you up to 4x5. but it is more cumbersome to use

this if you go back and forth between film and prints than the 2450

set up. also, the 2450 transparency scanner goes up to 4x9.

apparently epson realized that the 2450 was so good that it was

killing sales of its more expensive machines. and indeed this was

certainly the case. buy one while you still can. many local dealers

will still have them in stock.

"apparently epson realized that the 2450 was so good that it was killing sales of its more expensive machines"

No.

Its improved replacement (model 3200 at the same price as the 2450) is simply slower coming to U.S. shores than to Europe and Asia. B&H's site says the 3200 is expected in about five weeks.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh5.sph/FrameWork.class?FNC=ProductActivator__Aproductlist_html___276440___EPP3200___REG___CatID=0___SID=F3D0C353D00

already got an 3200 last week ... apart from the better resolution I have the impression that it's a tad better at Dmax. Negative holders have improved a little and hold the film flatter, but not much. All in all not revolution, but evolution. For 35mm any better film scanner wins hands down - Dmax and sharpness - but still at a higher price tag. For MF and LF there's still no other option for home use.

"For 35mm any better film scanner wins hands down - Dmax and sharpness - but still at a higher price tag."

For only scanning 35mm film, the Minolta Dual Scan III will do a better job for $100 less.

But if you (also) shoot MF or LF, or you also want to scan flat artwork the Epson seems to be a top choice for the price.

So what? There will be others in the footsteps.

For 35 mm I use the Minolta Scan Elite and for MF and LF I have the Microtek 4500T and both does the job and I am happy with both.

The Microtek 4500T I have ordered on line from Germany, shipped to my house for around $2100.00, packed with ScanWizard and SilverFast software.