Critique this please...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a spur of the moment shot in a war zone, the image is incredible but if it was a still from a movie set, yes Capa could be told that the focus should be sharper and the image may be declared a failure.

So all I need to do is get that guy to a war zone and all is forgiven?

There have been many different views on various aspects of Doug's image and different definitions of what a critique is but all in all, I think this post has been doing what it is supposed to do and that is to get us thinking about all of the elements of a photo, of which there are many. I am not a believer in rules and definitions when it comes to taking photos so I liked Doug's somewhat stubborn attitude about his photo. If you don't believe in what you are doing, no one else will. I hope Doug pops up another photo we can check out when we get the chance.

Thanks again thoite, I just might do that! Seems I've poked the hornets nest!

Moderator Note -

The definition of both 'critic' and 'critique' have been part of this discussion - more to the point though neither is on point as to of how this Forum operates. Moreover, as a consequence there has been some commentary which would be better suited to a Primary School Playground, and that is definitely not how this Forum operates.

Reiterating - as set out in the sticky at the top of the Forum - IF the OP wanted a narrow response, for example "Does this image move you?" - then that could have and should have been requested.

As no narrow request was made, the discussion is 'critique' of the image including relevant and associated photographic related commentary

Now, please, more commentary on photography and not on literacy, nor any school-yard bickering, thank you.

William

Edited by William Michael
  • Like 1

Camera's sensors haven't reached the point where they can span 8 stops

This hasn't been true for at least a decade. The Canon 5D Mark III, which was introduced 8 years ago and was considered a bit of a laggard in terms of dynamic range, has a dynamic range of almost 9 stops at base ISO: Photographic Dynamic Range versus ISO Setting

paddler4 is correct.

Perhaps what is more relevant is the limit of the Dynamic Range of the reproduction of the image, for example, as it is seen here, in-line.

WW

Let me ask again, if miraculously I could accommodate the critics request for change, would the message of the image change?

Probably for many: yes.

If the background were more "revealed" less "harsh" and the image overall more "soft" - then I reckon the intrinsic message would be different.

That stated, as the commentary revealed the Subject was an outcast from is clan and issued persona non grata, I'd further reckon the harsh treatment of the image has validity, to that message.

WW

My view is that it is frivolous, and off-putting asking what seems to be a reasonable question which would harness opinions and when an opinion is given, to then respond with sarcasm.

As one previous stated - do you want 'critique' or have you simply posted to troll, bait and argue?

WW

Sorry but this is a straw man. Point me to who stated a rule here. Nonsense.

Stubbornness can be ok. Defensiveness rarely is.

Didn't say anyone

Sorry but this is a straw man. Point me to who stated a rule here. Nonsense.

Stubbornness can be ok. Defensiveness rarely is.

Sam, could you just put one point in a post and not two, it confuses me. Didn't say anyone stated a rule here, just said I don't believe in them as far as photography and critiques go. I don't expect anyone to believe what I do or say about photography or politics either come to think of it.

My view is that it is frivolous, and off-putting asking what seems to be a reasonable question which would harness opinions and when an opinion is given, to then respond with sarcasm.

As one previous stated - do you want 'critique' or have you simply posted to troll, bait and argue?

WW

"Critique" is asking for opinion on things that can change, not things that cant be changed. People who ask for change where none is possible, are trolling...that includes moderators it appears. Yes,IF I had shot RAW, IF the info was there, IF, IF, IF. Like I said before, I can flap my arms as much as I can, but even moderators can't fly.

So all I need to do is get that guy to a war zone and all is forgiven?

OK . . . So, you're an ass . . . It was YOU who introduced the Capa image, not me. Should I assume that you introduced in order to suggest that you and Capa were up against it in the same way?

I'm fairly impressed with you as a photographer but that's about it. Out . . .

"Critique" is asking for opinion on things that can change, not things that cant be changed. People who ask for change where none is possible, are trolling...that includes moderators it appears. Yes,IF I had shot RAW, IF the info was there, IF, IF, IF. Like I said before, I can flap my arms as much as I can, but even moderators can't fly.

Doug - Your question clearly was hypothetical:

Here it is again -

Let me ask again, if miraculously I could accommodate the critics request for change, would the message of the image change?

And, it appears that this response of yours, as other responses of yours appear - simply bait.

WW

• Like 1