Kodak Retina lllc

Those sound like close-up lenses and I don't know how to use them with a rangefinder. The Retina had a bayonet front element and there were two (I think) alternate lenses you could mount in its place for tele and wide angle, though they may have been awkward as well. Need photo.

Photos posted Conrad. Thanks for your reply.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like a 1b. Pretty sure the front element is removable to install the wide and tele option lenses. See the little rectangular tab? It probably has a red dot on it. Grab the knurled area and twist counterclockwise until the red dot on the tab lines up with the red dot on the black area, about 25 degrees. Pull straight out. Goes back in just the way you took it out. Now, most come out quite easily, but I've got one shutter assembly where the front element is so tight I'd never put that much force on a camera. No need to force it if it's stubborn, since you don't have anything else to install there. Handy to know how to do it in case the lens is hazy and needs cleaning in there. Very nice photos BTW.
  • Like 1

I do not believe that my original camera lens is removable on this model. If this clear anything up, that would be great!

From Camerapedia - The front element can be removed just as with the IIc/C and IIIc/C models, but the reason for that is that the camera used the same bayonet mount for the front element to simplify production. The Ib/IB can't use the wide angle and tele accessory lenses.[2]

• Like 1

Looks like a 1b. Pretty sure the front element is removable to install the wide and tele option lenses. See the little rectangular tab? It probably has a red dot on it. Grab the knurled area and twist counterclockwise until the red dot on the tab lines up with the red dot on the black area, about 25 degrees. Pull straight out. Goes back in just the way you took it out. Now, most come out quite easily, but I've got one shutter assembly where the front element is so tight I'd never put that much force on a camera. No need to force it if it's stubborn, since you don't have anything else to install there. Handy to know how to do it in case the lens is hazy and needs cleaning in there. Very nice photos BTW.

It is a 1b, as I stated in my original post. Luckily the lens is crystal clear and I don't have any reason to remove the lens. My question was if anyone knew what the accessory lenses I have were for. Thanks for your comments Conrad..

From Camerapedia - The front element can be removed just as with the IIc/C and IIIc/C models, but the reason for that is that the camera used the same bayonet mount for the front element to simplify production. The Ib/IB can't use the wide angle and tele accessory lenses.[2]

Yes, it appears the optical design is different, so can't use the alternate front element lenses. OTOH, it might be nice to find the close-up viewfinder to go with the close-up lenses. They're described on page 22 in the camera manual- https://www.cameramanuals.org/kodak_pdf/kodak_retina_ib.pdf

• Like 2

The Retina 1b shown has no built-in rangefinder, just a viewfinder. It uses scale focussing that requires knowing, or guessing at, the subject distance.

If you know the dioptre value of those closeup 'filters', then you can work out the adjusted scale distance values for them. Probably given in the original leaflets that came packed with them.

• Like 2

Just looking at the 'bay, it's amazing how many Retinas of all types are available right now at decent prices. When I looked a few years ago they were fewer and higher priced. Even a iiiC (big C) isn't crazy like it was some years ago. IMO, the lenses on all of them are just superb. My dad shot all the family photos, mostly Kodachrome, with a IIIc and I've got one stashed away as well. f4 EL-Nikkor (Sorry the title is wrong for that page- gotta change the html when I get a chance.) Edited by conrad_hoffman
  • Like 1

My Retina IIIc which had a CLA done by Essex Camera Repair in 2011. Unfortunately Essex Camera Repair is no longer in business, they were my go to repair shop for most of my old classic manual cameras.

28162181_10208371544445349_6342546167163097109_o.thumb.jpg.033b2d076e5e0518f2db320f89503be1.jpg

The Retina 1b shown has no built-in rangefinder, just a viewfinder. It uses scale focussing that requires knowing, or guessing at, the subject distance.

If you know the dioptre value of those closeup 'filters', then you can work out the adjusted scale distance values for them. Probably given in the original leaflets that came packed with them.

Unfortuantely there were no information leaflets in the boxes. This Retina has a "frame" viewfinder. Thanks Rodeo_Joe

Just looking at the 'bay, it's amazing how many Retinas of all types are available right now at decent prices. When I looked a few years ago they were fewer and higher priced. Even a iiiC (big C) isn't crazy like it was some years ago. IMO, the lenses on all of them are just superb. My dad shot all the family photos, mostly Kodachrome, with a IIIc and I've got one stashed away as well. f4 EL-Nikkor (Sorry the title is wrong for that page- gotta change the html when I get a chance.)

I know what you mean about the price coming down online. When I bought this, cleaned it up and realized how amazing the condition was, the going price for one in this condition was upwards of $300.00. I was VERY happy I made out so well!

You can find the dioptre value - AKA focal length expressed as 1000mm/f - by measuring the distance from the lens to the sharp(est) image it projects of the sun.

This measured focal length then becomes the focus distance when the auxillary lens is fitted to the camera, and the camera focus scale is set to infinity.

Sounds complicated, but just requires a sunny day and use of a yardstick or tape measure.

For distances other than infinity on the camera scale, it does require a bit of maths to work out. However, the difference made to the focussed distance is fairly minimal.

I just worked out that a 1 dioptre (f = 1000mm) auxillary lens will allow focus to about 831mm with the lens scale set at 3 feet. So that's only a change of about 170mm in subject distance by rotating the camera lens all the way from infinity to minimum focus.

A 2 dioptre (500mm) closeup lens allows focussing from 500mm to ~323mm as the scale is turned from infinity to 3 feet.

Edited by rodeo_joe|1

Ooops! Correction to above.

The 1 dioptre CU 'filter' allows focussing from 1000mm down to around 477mm.

A range of about 523mm.

3 dioptres covers from 333mm down to 244mm.

So it's likely that the 1, 2 & 3 filter designations are the dioptre values; allowing focussing from 3 feet down to 244mm in three slightly overlapping ranges.

In addition, combining the filters gets you 4, 5 & 6 dioptres - sorry about the mathematical pun!

P.S. I'm not sure the accessory rangefinder would be of any use with those CU lenses. It would need separate scales and calibration for each lens. So I don't think the add on rangefinder has anything to do with the CU dioptres.

Edited by rodeo_joe|1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I hate to be this guy, but since we happen to have a large number of IIIc owners here, I figured I'd ask.

Does anyone have a IIIc parts camera hanging around? I have a IIIc with a dead galvanometer and missing flap on the meter cell. The selenium cell is still active though.

I'd like to buy a IIIc meter assembly if anyone has one, otherwise, If anyone can measure the aperture in the flap, I can fabricate a new one.

• Like 1

A caution on the meters. The parts between seemingly identical cameras may not physically fit each other. I had a similar problem with a broken flap hinge and couldn't find a replacement assembly that would fit. Reminds me of a joke comment on a machinist's drawing, "File to fit, weld to suit." I'll try and measure the aperture for you.
  • Like 1

I'm guessing they drilled with a 1.5 mm bit.

A 1.5mm drill fits the hole almost perfectly, and since a +/- 9% change in diameter keeps you within an error of 1/4 stop; I'd say that was close enough.

The Hi/Lo flap has a little slot in its edge to form a latch BTW. And it's sprayed matt black inside.

IMG_20201029_141923.thumb.jpg.c634c903a6deea9d549b5e4d6dc789ce.jpg

Good luck finding a working galvo!

• Like 1

Much appreciated gentlemen. This will help me fabricate a new part.

The galvanometer may be tricky, I may have to buy a second parts camera and hope it doesn't have the same problem. One of the things I have found through research is that the IIIc is the only Retina to use this meter assembly, whereas the IIIC shares the same meter assembly as the IB, retinette IIb, IIS, reflex and reflex S.

• Like 1