Photo Inspiration: Old Photo Re-creation

My daughter and I were recently looking at some old family photos and found a shot of my dad from 1951 (he was around 22 years old). Since my daughter just turned 20, we decided it might be fun to re-create that photo as best we could. Has anyone else tried this or are we just weird (I guess they aren't mutually exclusive)?

Not weird at all, go for it

A quirk that I do is photograph past versus present, of locations my Dad took. I place myself in exactly the same spots he took photos and compile "twin" sets of photos of what streets, buildings, vehicles and people were like in the 50's and 60's, compared to the present day.

Not an uncommon thing to do- go for it!

Some years ago the local historical society had a photo contest. They distributed old photos and you had to figure out where they were taken and duplicate the shot as it appears today. Huge amount of fun. Mine was taken from the upper floor of a house that was no longer there. I got to take it from the roof of the grocery store now in the same location.

A bit different, but thinking about it, this must be a common urge - so much so that some photographers in tourist areas, or at tourist attractions make a business of it. I have seen Old West, Pirate, and also Renaissance at Fairs and Festivals. Most often there are sample photos, props and backgrounds. The guest picks, pays, poses, and walks away with a photo themselves having been inserted into history.

I have pictures of my Mom age 16 or so, about 1925, with a house in the background, which is still there. Thanks to your inspired idea, I'd like to try to get my grand-daughters, about the same age as Mom was, in a picture at the same place, across the street from the property where I, my Mom, and her father were born.

I also have a picture of the house that I was born in, with my Great-Grandmother as the subject ( maybe 1918?) , and another picture of the same house, with my 2-year old self as the subject ( 1952 ??). I've always thought that these pictures are very special.