Post Processing Challenge April 18, 2020

There are no rules as to how you apply your post processing to this image; but, please let us know what you have done so we can all learn.

If you would like to post a candidate image next week, please ensure it is of sufficiently high resolution for manipulation by the participants (3000px on the long side, 300dpi for example).

Most of all, let's have fun while we are learning or demonstrating how we use our post-processing software, imaginations and interpretations.

Have fun!

Ok, no one posted yet, so here goes. This is the view from my brother's deck. I don't remember if it was one shot or a panorama construct. Anyway, the deck railing is supposed to be rectangular, but that's not an assignment unless you want it to be.MTDeck.thumb.jpg.c24bd1cecd66f1373aa7ed450004759d.jpg

Edited by tom_r
  • Like 5

2136786241_ppccurvedcopy.thumb.jpg.8c632ba81993de8a33cf804de67c3478.jpgGood image for our purposes, Tom. Starting in PSE15, exaggerated the curve using the correct camera distortion filter, followed by a slight crop modification to add height. Then in Silver Efex, converted the image to b&w and used a control point to add a bit of selective coloring - even though I'm aware that selective color is no longer in style. Edited by michaellinder
  • Like 3

This was a fun one. The thing I really, really like about these challenges is that it gives me license to try things I wouldn't do with my own photos, like create an alternative reality and try some wacky stuff. With this one, I wanted to try doing something that I didn’t think I’d be able to do. In the process, I got a lot better at using the Photoshop clone source panel to modify the orientation and size of the clone. So my apologies to your brother—I remodeled his house.

Almost all edits were in Photoshop, and almost all the editing was cloning:

1. Enlarged the canvas to add sky; used content-aware fill…
  2. …which didn’t quite work, so I did a lot of cloning in the sky.
  3. I wanted to replace the blown-out portion of the sky, so I duplicated the layer and shifted it over, added a layer mask, and dropped out the original blown-out part…
  4. …which didn’t quite work, so I did a lot more cloning in the sky (luckily there were clouds or it would have been a disaster).
  5. I selected the left-most part of the image, duplicated it, shifted it, and added a layer mask to repair the panorama-merge suture on the left…
  6. …which didn’t quite work, so I did a lot of cloning on the deck, railing, and flowers on the left.
  7. I then used the clone stamp panel to try to make the curved railing symmetrical and remove the grill and house. Lots more cloning.
  8. I added a new layer to import some local color, which I assume won’t be noticed.

Then I popped it into Lightroom to do a few general edits (increased texture and exposure, with gradients to modify where the exposure increased), stain the newly constructed deck, and heal-brush (no more cloning) away some distractions.

D06-deck-Edit.jpg.0e938767e9182592b3f669ae8a2fea38.jpg

• Like 5

This was a fun one. The thing I really, really like about these challenges is that it gives me license to try things I wouldn't do with my own photos, like create an alternative reality and try some wacky stuff. With this one, I wanted to try doing something that I didn’t think I’d be able to do. In the process, I got a lot better at using the Photoshop clone source panel to modify the orientation and size of the clone. So my apologies to your brother—I remodeled his house.

Almost all edits were in Photoshop, and almost all the editing was cloning:

1. Enlarged the canvas to add sky; used content-aware fill…
  2. …which didn’t quite work, so I did a lot of cloning in the sky.
  3. I wanted to replace the blown-out portion of the sky, so I duplicated the layer and shifted it over, added a layer mask, and dropped out the original blown-out part…
  4. …which didn’t quite work, so I did a lot more cloning in the sky (luckily there were clouds or it would have been a disaster).
  5. I selected the left-most part of the image, duplicated it, shifted it, and added a layer mask to repair the panorama-merge suture on the left…
  6. …which didn’t quite work, so I did a lot of cloning on the deck, railing, and flowers on the left.
  7. I then used the clone stamp panel to try to make the curved railing symmetrical and remove the grill and house. Lots more cloning.
  8. I added a new layer to import some local color, which I assume won’t be noticed.

Then I popped it into Lightroom to do a few general edits (increased texture and exposure, with gradients to modify where the exposure increased), stain the newly constructed deck, and heal-brush (no more cloning) away some distractions.

[ATTACH=full]1338255[/ATTACH]

Really nice job! Makes me think brother should look into the custom curved deck…really believable. Your thorough and funny write-up is appreciated!

• Like 1

[ATTACH=full]1338272[/ATTACH]

I used the "Ansel Adams Back Deck" plug-in for LightRoom. That pulls up the contrast, increases the blacks, saturates the blue in the sky and then converts to B&W. Cropped to the same ratio to remove the grill. Suitable for framing.

"Ansel Adams Back Deck plug-in” and “Suitable for framing” Classic!

Your version is no joke though. Nice!

• Like 1

ppcq.thumb.jpg.5c26a92a2e8f00257759d6854eb7e374.jpg

As Leslie said, a fun photo that challenges one to do some wacky stuff.

I started by straightening the railing on the left side using cloning, although not as carefully as Leslie's version. Then I cropped the left side of the image, ending at the vertical axis that bisected the summit of the hill, pasted the crop on a larger blank canvas, then copied the crop, reversed it horizontally and pasted the result on the blank canvas so as to line up with the left half, followed by further cloning to straighten the mid portion of the fence. This didn't look quite right, so I added a central fence post to cover my mistake. I copied a photo of a friend and had him entering from the left and exiting to the right.

Edited by Glenn McCreery
  • Like 5

[ATTACH=full]1338279[/ATTACH]

As Leslie said, a fun photo that challenges one to do some wacky stuff.

I started by straightening the railing on the left side using cloning, although not as carefully as Leslie's version. Then I cropped the left side of the image, ending at the vertical axis that bisected the summit of the hill, pasted the crop on a larger blank canvas, then copied the crop, reversed it horizontally and pasted the result on the blank canvas so as to line up with the left half, followed by further cloning to straighten the mid portion of the fence. This didn't look quite right, so I added a central fence post to cover my mistake. I copied a photo of a friend and had him entering from the left and exiting to the right.

Cool! You trapped your friend in an endless loop of scenic Montana. There are worse fates. :)

• Like 2

• 5 months later...