Keep and clean

Silica users!  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Silica users!

I keep my cameras and lenses in various camera bags, mostly backpacks and a couple of rollers. The lenses are capped, and bodies are either capped or fitted with lenses. Not much to get dirty.

Dust, which eventually settles on the sensors, is another issue. I use a three-way approach. I carry a Giottos "Rocket" blower for loose dust on the sensor and lenses. I also have a Lens Pen with a retractable brush for lenses and filters. The sticky end is okay for lenses and filters, but not sensors. I carry micro fiber brushes for sensors, and sensors alone. One has a spinner which cleans and charges the fibers to attract and retain lint from the sensors. For really stubborn spots on sensors, I have Eclipse Fluid and Sensor Swabs. The latter is only for oil (e.g., from the shutter) or water spots, seldom needed.

Eclipse Fluid (methanol) can be used on lenses, but evaporates too quickly to remove fingerprints without streaks. I carry a small spray bottle of Zeiss lens cleaner, a mixture of ethanol, isopropanol, water and detergent, which works very well, along with non-woven lens tissue. Micro fiber lens cloth works well, but gets dirty quickly. Any cloth or tissue should be bunched up for use on optical surfaces and used like a brush, not flat like a washcloth for scrubbing.

• Like 1

Keep it in a dry, dustless place.

Never change lenses at a venue.

No paranoia.

I only shoot town streets and fashion. I never wear caps on lenses but I wear UV protective filters from unboxing any lens. I only have tissues and a blower. My lenses are in virgin, pure and untouched condition.