sam_crater

Sorry if this sounds familiar, but I have read some seemingly

contradictory posts on this topic.

How many of you have a 4x5 field camera that allows a 6x12

Horseman/Shen Hao/Techno Rollex style RFH to be conveniently slid

under the groundglass? I got the idea that you have to use a Sinar

style RFH that has the spools off to the side, or remove the

groundglass, but then I saw a post from Kerry Thalman where he

mentions using a Shen Hao 6x12 back under the glass of his Toho.

Anyone else use a Horseman style 6x12 or 6x9 back by sliding it under

the groundglass of their 4x5 field camera? Ebony owners?

Thanks in advance

Sam

I sometimes use a 612 Horseman holder with an Ebony 45SU. I have marked the ground glass with a thin-point marker pen to guide my composition for 6x12. To use the back, one must first remove the ground glass (this is simple to do) and then put the film holder in place using the top and bottom sliding levers which are on the Ebony back. The film holder does not slide under the glass.

I don't know how the Shen Hao back works. The Sinar multi-format back will not fit the Ebony unless you modify the back to remove the wooden "ears" at the ends of the ground-glass frame (I believe Ebony will do this for you).

i have been at this for a while, used a large number of camera and film back types, and never encountered a roll fim back for 4x5 that could slip under the glass (a la grafmatic let's say). having said that, i have also been around long enuff to know that anything that can be imagined exists. so i'm sure someone will chime in with a contra example. but, again, all of the roll film backs i have used were mounted using some variation of the graflock/unversal system. was there a system where the glass would swing away (but the frame was still mounted)??

Um, Roger, correct me if I'm mistaken as we drift away from the original topic, but surely Calumet and Adapt-A-Roll holders slip under the ground glass, and more easily with spring than with Graflok backs? Neither is available in 6x12, so they're not what Sam wants.

Cheers,

Dan

The Calumet rollfilm holders (and the obsolete Adaptaroll 620) both slide under the groundglass. I own one of each. There are also ones made by Sinar and Linhof that 'slide-under' as well, but I've never seen either. I believe Calumet did/does offer a 6x12 version of their roll back. I thought about getting one, but at $800 I decided that it would be easier and cheaper just to crop a 4x5 neg...

It is true that the Calumet roll film holders slide under the GG. I find this much more convenient than having to remove the GG for each shot, not to mention it's safer for the glass not being handled as much.<P>

I think the price they ask for 6x12 roll film holders is <I>criminal</I>, or it should be. My solution for panoramic shots was to cut an extra darkslide as a half-frame mask. Compose the image on the bottom half of the glass (or top, if you like,) pull the regular slide and put the half slide in so it covers the top half of the film, then take the shot. With a rotating back you can spin the back 180° and not have to recompose for the other half of the film, then you can get a bracketing shot on the same film. Best of all, because the modified darkslide was from a dead holder, it's free.

The above post regarding the sinar roll film back and the ebony is incorrect I have the SV2 and you can get the sinar multiformat roll film holder under the ground glass. It isn't smooth until you play with the camera and get used to it, but it certainly does work. You have to shove to make sure it's in all the way. You have to pulllll to get it out, but it works.