Synchro-Compur shutter very stiff

PaulWhiting

I have two Rolleicords, a IV and a V (not Va or Vb, just V) and each has a Synchro-Compur. The shutter cock is very stiff on the V, and it was CLA'd several years ago - out of warranty by now. The V's shutter has a timer release and I'm wondering if that extra feature makes that version of the Synchro-Compur harder to cock. Both cameras have good shutter statistics, tested recently.

I have serial numbers:

IV: s/n 1386570 this would be from late 1952, and I believe its detailed model is MX

V: s/n 1527276 these begin around 1956 and the detailed model is MXV

Thanks all!

www.paulwhitingphotography.com

These may be of assistance

Link ....Rolleicord Shutter Repair – Charrette & Beget

Link .... Kiev Survival Site

The shutter cocking lever usually has more resistance for the 500th/sec speed than all the slower speeds. If there is strong resistance for all speeds, the moving parts associated with the cocking mechanism might be running dry and need lubricating. Synchro Compur shutters are very fixable but they must be clean inside with absolutely no dirt in the "clockwork" mechanisms. The one for the slow speeds, and the self timer itself.

Thank you!

First, let me say I did look at those links you provided, Way past my pay grade! Wonderful photographs I might add.

I should've mentioned 1/500... right, the cocking lever is noticeably stiffer than the other speeds, I'm used to that. I've heard there's an extra spring or something at that speed. I checked my records and my V's shutter was CLA'd 6 or 7 years ago. Could mine dry up in that time period? Apparently so. My IV had a CLA over 20 years ago and it's fine. Sounds like the V's CLA wasn't done as well.

Can we say it was not the added self timer to the V's Synchro-Compur that causes the stiffness, but it was more than likely dried up lubrication?

Would you be willing to recommend someone?

Thanks again!

Would you be willing to recommend someone?

I'd be willing if I knew someone, but unfortunately I don't. Perhaps other members could help you if you could say which country you lived in. Otherwise you could do a Google search and find someone that way.

The self timer won't cause stiffness of the cocking lever, it's a separate operation. However, there are different ways the self timer can be primed on different shutters, but the shutter is always cocked independently of the self timer.

The mechanism I'm sure you are unknowingly concerned about is not the self timer, but the "slow speed" clockwork mechanism, this one could cause stiffness if it is dirty or damaged. It comes into play when using slow speeds such as 1/8th, 1/4, 1/2 and 1sec speeds, as examples, and this mechanism definitely is primed by the cocking lever, so it may be the problem, but I think there is something more serious in your V, not sure what, maybe the CLA wasn't done properly or grit got in and it's causing excessive friction.

I'm in the US, Montana to be exact. No repair stations here!

As I look back on this thread's title I should've said "Synchro-Compur shutter cocking lever very stiff. You understood, no problem there!

Just checked my shutter data, most speeds are spot on or within 1/3 stop. The 1/500 speed is about 1/320, or 2/3 stop.

Unfortunately, in many cases a Compur shutter overhaul does not make the shutter work well for as long as we'd expect given the service costs and original quality/price of the cameras that employed them. Although it does seem a bit odd that a Harry Fleenor overhaul would get so thoroughly gummed up again within a mere 6-7 years, esp in a separate-cocking Rolleicord which generally doesn't receive as much stress as an auto-cocking Rolleiflex.

You might contact Harry Fleenor with a copy of the alleged repair papers, and ask him if they match his records of having serviced your camera. There have been some instances of forged Harry Fleenor repair receipts being sold with Rollei cameras as an incentive: the person you bought the Rolleicord from may have unkowingly received such false papers when he purchased it before you. If Fleenor determines he did not actually overhaul this Rolleicord, that would explain the shutter feeling gummy. If he did in fact service it 6-7 years ago, perhaps his professional opinion could shed some light on why it might need another tuneup.