Canon F1 by nikon user

blueisland

Hi just a quickie.

I'm a nikon user but have just come upon a CANON F1 body.(with

viewfinder) I've never used canon so know nothing about them. However

I do know the F1 is a fine camera.

The serial number is 581979 if it makes any difference.

Can someone give me some starting points to value (it seems in

general good condition) and what info I should start equiping myself

with.

I may use it I may sell it I don't know yet as I have a nikon outfit

fm2n & FA with primes which I'm familiar with.

Many thanks.

Hi Blue,

The F-1 is indeed a fine camera and for all intents and purposes Canon made two models, early and late. The first version can easily be identified by the mirror-lock-up/stop-down/delay lever on the front. The serial number is basically useless for determining what or which. There is a date code on the camera, this can be found in the film chamber. It will be black ink and right where the film canister goes. The first letter will be the year, first year of the coding is 1960 and that is A, I have two F-1's and their codes are O and F, making the build dates 1975 and 1992 (starting over in 1987). You can also identify the camera with this, early ones go from 1971 to 1980 and the second version goes from 1981 to 1993.

You want my suggestion? Sell the camera. You already have two excellent Nikon cameras, the F-1 will be of no use. Trade it in on a good Nikon lens, like something you have been wanting. You'll get much more use out of that. Trying to support two different camera systems is just too much work, collecting flashes, tubes, winders and on and on to get the system where you want it. It's hard enough when you have a Manual Focus and an Auto Focus outfit, deciding which one to bring and when, let alone two different brands. As far as value? that depends on condition. Super clean ones will be from $250-$850 if you got an Olympic model or you're selling on e-bay. A heavily brassed camera that may be passed Canons life expetency may be useless.

FYI the older mechanical F-1 and F-1n (both have a 625 button cell in bottom)(the F-1n has a black plastic tip on the wind lever)averages $272.00 body only on ebay this is for 142 closed auctions the F-1N (6 volt cell under cover on front of camera) averages $500.00 for 68 closed auctions. The F-1N is the more desireable of the two. But both versions are still highly sought after by users more then collectors. Unless any Olympic version is in near mint condition it will carry only a small premium over the std version. Prices are slightly higher about 20-25% retail but that's sell to you not you selling to them. Ebay is the best venue for private sale unless you get lucky and are able to sell it via a online classified.

If you want to get into the Canon FD system I suggest that you join the Yahoo Canon FD group at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CanonFD/

We can answer all your questions and give you way more advise then you will know what to do with at last count 680 members.

Thanks for the responses. I've worked out its the older F1n. Its in good nick and after spending a bit of time with it on the usual checks it doesn't seem to have any problems. (fingers crossed)

I bought it along with two Tamron zooms for £70 (about $100) so it seems I got a good buy. However as stated by another poster I did think having two different systems was a bit daft and also the outlay for prime lenses was a bit of a worry. (I hate zooms).

I'll probably shoot a few rolls just to test it out and just for interests sake then put it up for sale. Trouble is I'm getting fond of it already. I really have got a problem with getting emotionally attached to these lumps of metal and glass.

I've owned both the original F1 and the F1 New (the electronic shutter version).

The original F1, if in good condition, is a beautiful picture taking machine. If you can find a grid screen for it you'll find it's an even nicer camera than the Nikon (I've used, F, FM2N and F4). The 24, 50 and 100 lenses are easily as good as anything offered by Nikon - if you found a nice set you'd probably have a real problem making up your mind which system to keep. It's the one camera I *really* regret parting with.

The F1N, on the other hand, always struck me as very odd to handle and it had an extremely irritating shutter sound that screamed 'look at me, I'm taking photos'.

I have two F1N's, an "old F1 with the mirror lockup lever, a Contax G2, and a RB67 Pro S. I think you'll really like the F1's - great solid camera with lots of potential in the right hands. Suggest you keep it a year and use it in a variety of settings. Canon FD glass is great. I use my F1N for studio work, the old F1 does double duty between me and the kids; the Contax G2 is my travel/landscape camera when I don't feel like carrying too much; and the RB67 is for more serious work -- cameras are just the tools of your trade; I would encourage you to hang onto it for a little more than the honeymoon period -- by the way, I love the Nikon F100's but autofocus and all the stuff you have to learn on these new cameras tend to involve a considerable learning curve. I like center weighted or hand-held meters for 95% of my shooting; and match needle meters are very intuitive to understand -- sometimes the older ways help me grasp what I need/want to do a bit easier than that of the newer systems. Enjoy your F1 and when you're ready to sell there will always be a buyer for this great camera.

• 2 months later...
I have an F-1n(second style). Love it. Do as someone above suggested: give it a year. Prime lens suggestions: 24mm 2.0 (might be hard to find, and pricy, but spectacular lens); 50mm 1.8 (millions available cheap and in excellent shape); 85mm 1.8 (a dream to use, great contrast and resolution, good bokeh); 135mm 2.0 (heavy and pricy, but sharp -- really snappy images, particularly when used for tight close-up work). Good alternate fill-in suggestions that are readily available and inexpensive: 28mm 2.8; 100mm 2.8