South Florida - Big Cypress Preserve

scott_killian1

Anybody been to the Big Cypress Preserve (Clyde Butcher country) who can make recommendations? I'll be in the area for a week later this month with my 4x5 and I'm hoping to find some nice spots to shoot. I know that the best images would probably come from wading into the swamp, but I'm too chicken to deal with Snakes & Gators so I'm looking for minimal hiking - stuff I can reach by car. I've done some reading and learned about Loop Road and have seen a few preserves on the map. Is there anything else experienced visitors can think of that I don't want to miss?

As always, thanks for the info.

I drove the Loop road in March 2002, and it was very nice. Good light is really important, as usual. When I say good, I probably mean appropriate light. It is a very, very contrasty place. I only had a couple of days, but can imagine having a great time over an extended period. Clyde's place, the gallery I mean, is awesome.

I've photographed there four or five times. The best (actually the only) good photography areas I found that you could see from your car were off the loop road. If it's been wet then there's some nice things easily accessible there. If it's been dry then there wasn't anything that I could see. It should be fairly wet right now I would think. Other than that and the canals along the road on the way there, which can have some interesting things in the right light, I don't think there's a lot there that can be seen from your car. If you're going to be in the area for a week you might investigate boat rentals and areas. I've never tried that but I assume there must be some boat rentals available somewhere around there. T

The other major road is Turner River Road (I think that's the name, it's been a couple years since my last trip). I didn't find anything from the car worth photographing along it but if you watch out for snakes you can walk into the woods at numerous places off that road and you might find something interesting.

I guess I'm a minority of one but I didn't find the pond next to Clyde's studio to be terribly interesting. However, I haven't been there in four or five years so maybe its changed. I did ask for permission to photograph there and they gave it with no problem. The gallery itself is certainly worth a visit and maybe you'll find something you like around the pond.

I stay in the Everglades City Motel. It's very basic but clean and inexpensive.

I should have mentioned that there's an old lodge in Everglades City. I'm drawing a blank on the name, I think it's "The Rod and Gun Club" or some such name with a hunting motif. Once upon a time it was a big deal, visited by presidents and captains of industry, that kind of thing. It's somewhat run down now and they don't take credit cards so I wouldn't stay there again but if you like to photograph old interiors from the early part of the 20th century you might take a look inside.

Depending on where your base is, I highly recommend Corkscrew Swamp sanctuary about halfway between Immokalee and Naples. http://www.audubon.org/local/sanctuary/corkscrew/

It has a boardwalk through one of the few remaining virgin stands of bald cypress in the southeast. Lots of wildlife can typically be observed. Get there early to avoid the crowds vibrating the walk.

I think you know about Fakahatchee Preserve, just northwest of Big Cypress. This area is bisected by numerous old logging trams that give dry foot access to the interior of the swamp. However, I prefer to wade as it is often just as fast, cooler, and gives a more interesting perspective. Also, I see more snakes on the tram roads than in the water. Bring a compass if you wade. It's easy to become disoriented. Also, bring a stout walking stick to probe for depth and critters ahead of your feet.

I would also consider Collier-Seminole State Park which has relatively dry hiking trails meandering through pines and cypress. Bring insect repellent, despite what the ranger might tell you.

http://www.dep.state.fl.us/parks/district4/collier-seminole/index.asp

I've hiked all over this area and there isn't really anything to be afraid of. Wear snake guards if you want, but I never did. The worst I ever ran into was the fire ants. The hiking and swamp buggy trails around Oasis Ranger station have the prettiest cypress strands and prairies in southern Florida.

As a long time resident fo South Florida I photograph in the Big Cypress 3 or 4

times each year. As Ellis mentioned the Loop Road is the easiest and most

accessible by car. I was there two weeks ago and it is quite dry. This is the dry

season in South Florida and you easily walk out onto the praries without

having to worry too much about pigmy rattle snakes or water moccasins.

The swamp lillies are beginning to bloom and should come into full bloom

very shortly. Back behind Butchers house is a river that you can wade

through. Ask if they will let you walk doen their driveway to the house and into

their backyard.

Turner River road is not very photographic close to US41, but drive 18 miles

north to bear Island and you will find a number of great places to shoot. Most

visitors do not know about this area, but it has praries, gator holes, open

plains, cypress stands, the old abandoned oil wells, and excellent scenery in

general.

I have never found the Fakohatchee area to be very productive, but it

depends on what you want to shoot. Two weeks ago, the Loops Road has

more birds than I have seen there in years. We were shooting 7x17 so really

did not pay much attention to them. \

Be sure to get onto the North Entrance of the Loop Road before the sun rises.

Vistas just prior to the sun peeking over the horizon over the grasslands to the

east (left side of the road) are spectacular. Many times, if there are clouds the

morning alpen glow will be extraordinary. Unless overcast, things are pretty

contrasty at mid day. We normally stop shooting by 10am go have lunch and

return by 3pm. This time of year the sun is setting a bit later and you can get

some lovely sunset images. The cypress trees are all gray this time of year,

but will be budding very soon. Take this into considerstion as the contrast can

ruin a great trip. Bring your filters and don't forget to use them. I assume you

are shooting b/w, if not use a warming polarizer.

Don't forget to head into the Everglades National Park. There are some great

places within the park as well. If you head down to Flamingo, make sure you

bring plenty of bug repellent. Two weeks ago we did not have many bugs at

all. In fact, the morning we were on the Loop Road it was 41F at sunrise. So if

a cold front is coming through, be prepared for cool temperatures and lots of

wind.

Yesterday, it was 87F and almost no wind at all.

Have a great trip.

Mike

Thanks for all the good info. One last thing I wondered about is the Tamiami Trail. I've been in South Florida many times and always thought it was only a road that connected Miami with western Florida (Naples, Ft Myers & up to Tampa). However, in checking out Clyde's images, I noticed that many are of vistas titled Tamiami Trail. Are these simply shots taken off the highway somewhere?

Just trying to understand if I'm missing a park or if there are preserves along the highway.

Scott,

Yes, there are lot's of open field vistas from US41 (Tamiami Trail). I have trekked out onto the praries along with Clyde after parking along the shoulder of the road.

The gators are more afraid of you than you are of them, BUT, March is mating season and they become very terriorial and agressive. However, more importantly are the Pythons. Pythons have been released by unsuspecting pet owners into the Big Cypress and the rangers are waring visitors to be very careful. Although no human beings have been attached, some have been spotted up to 12' in length and one even attacked a gator in the Shark Valley area.

Mike

Mike

Scott --

I live in Miami and am quite familiar with most of those areas. If you would like 4x5 company when you go, contact me. However, as Brian Ellis said, this is the dry season in South Florida, so some of the areas, and I would expect Loop Road to be one of them, will be fairly dry (although there is one nice spot there that usually has water).