Nikon 500mm F/4 AF-S Lens Cap?

p21664886126

Hey everyone!

Can anyone give me the dimensions in inches (width and length) of the Nikon 500mm F/4 FL VR Lens Cap?

I just purchased a used 500mm f/4 AF-S II Non-VR and need a cloth cap for it and wonder if the latest velcro style cap with fit on it.

The old one has been discontinued.

Here's the new one: Nikon Slip-On Front Lens Cap for AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/4E FL ED VR Lens

Than in advance!

P2 I would measure the front lens diameter to get the exact diameter you need and to determine the inside dimensions of the cap. Also I have the original caps/covers for my 200-400 and 600 f4 vr lenses but I prefer the LenCoat Hoodies when I travel. They have a solid insert and low profile. There is no redundant material and they stay on snug without a draw string. They are less expensive and they match with the lens coat covers I put on my long lenses. I used the same on my 500mm f/4 AF-S I Non-VR when I owned it. It was a great lens for me. Also I still own but have abandoned my Nikon carbon fiber hoods for cloth Aqua Tech hoods that store flat and can be bumped with out consequences. LensCoat make similar less expensive versions. Anyway, good hunting

Getting the "exact" diameter by measurement is trickier than you would think, at least for me; and I do have a micrometer.

For a cloth slip-on, I imagine there is some elasticity, though. I'd try searching eBay and other on-line places for work-alikes [=Nikon 4171?] that are cheaper than the Nikon one.

Edited by JDMvW

Ever since I discovered how easy it was to stitch camo neoprene, I just make a rough paper template, and make the pieces the same size. It's natural spring keeps it in place.

I'm not sure diameter is useful, circumference is what you need.....;)

Whilst we're (almost) talking about hoods for long teles, How can Nikon justify well in excess of £500 for a very simple carbon fibre tube with minimal fittings?

• Like 2

Mike, the Aquatech and LensCoat soft hoods are not cheap at 100-160 bucks but they are more affordable than Nikon carbon fiber hoods in the $500 range.

The LensCoat front lens covers/hoodies are only 20-40 dollars depending on the size. Aquatech makes an affordable silicone cap that fits inside the opening of the lens. I lost mine during the excitement getting ready to stalk a heard of 100 prong horn antelope at the Very Large Array in New Mexico a few years back. Compared to the robust Canon hoods that are also crazy expensive, I don't care for the more delicate Nikon long lens hoods but I have never felt that Nikon owed me an explanation for their pricing for the 2-3 thousand 500mm and 600mm lenses and hoods they make of some models. I assume they have to be competitive but still make a profit in a nation that is a very expensive place to live and make a business. Still I get to choose. I could always go with a Bower or Vivitar 500mmm f8. You can get the whole kit and caboodle for under 100 bucks. Carbon fiber parts are by their manufacturing nature complex to make and therefore expensive, just ask an amputee about the carbon fiber pylon for his/her prosthesis or consider our stupid expensive Gitzo and RRS carbon fiber pods that we get to strut around with. If had the time I might try making my own lens covers. I don't but that's a good thing because mine would be so ugly they would scare off the birds.

• Like 1

"The current version is an 500mm f/4D IF-ED AF-S II Nikkor which has a 11 elements in 9 groups (3 ED Elements) design (No. of diaphragm blades: 9 blades fro more natural out of focus blur) and uses lightweight Magnesium die-cast construction body which contributes to its weight at approx. 7.6lbs and dimensions of 5.5 in. x 15.6 in. Nikon Silent Wave Motor was used for high-speed autofocus along with a claimed more quiet AF operation."

==> Nikkor 500mm f/4.0P ED-IF Super-telephoto lense

I second 2Oceans’s recommendation for LensCoat Hoodies (which use diameter to pick the right size).

While I have the Nikon caps for my 300 f/2.8VR and 600 f/4VR, I replaced them with Hoodies. The Hoodies are elastic so you do not have to find an exact match, they will still have a snug fit. Yes, neoprene is easy to work with and you can make one yourself. However, the Hoodies are reasonably priced and well worth getting for super telephoto lenses.

• Like 1