d500 question

chris_graamans

I just got my new D500, and am trying to customize the settings. Have set up 'photo shooting menu banks' to suit various situations, but one thing that doesn't stick with the menu bank is exposure metering area (spot vs center weighted, etc.). There doesn't seem to be a way to make it happen under 'custom settings bank' either.

Am I missing something? Thanks in advance, Chris

Errm, isn't there a manual switch on the camera back for changing metering mode? There is on my D700 and D800.

So, if the metering mode isn't a menu selected item, it cannot be stored. I think that's the same for every option that has a specific button or switch associated with it.

Joseph, Rodeo: Yes, I know how to use the external controls to change the metering area, but I was trying for a one step process to switch between shooting situations, and wishing that metering area (and focus mode and area) stick to their banks along with other settings. Some settings that are controlled by external buttons (WB, file format, ISO, e.g.) DO stick to the banks.

I think the only thing you can do is to use Custom Control assignments as described in custom settings f1 where you can assign certain actions to the PV and Fn1 buttons and the center of the sub-selector.

Download the Professional Technical Guide to the D 500 from Nikon and look at pages 6-9 and maybe other pages too. Cusrom setting F10 is used to make assignments on the MB-D17 battery pack if you have one of those. More info here:

http://download.nikonimglib.com/archive2/WruxG00rGMZx02kyZby56kBL0479/D500_TG_Tips_(En)03.pdf

Chris, Congrats on your new body.

When I shot film I spot metered everything. Now days its matrix and blinkies.

I use the Fn1 button (you can also set the Pv button for one of your choices) to access spot metering on the fly but you can also set it to bring up matrix or center weighted choices. So depending on what your default is set as you can bring up one of the three known choices on the F1n and one on the Pv so you have your default and then two other choices immediately available using the two front buttons on the right. By-the-way download the manual as a PDF and then you can search more efficiently using the control f hot key. Like most Nikon manuals they are not intuitive. I think that is as good as it gets. Good hunting.