Photoshop CS2 + PhotoKit problem

I have Photoshop CS2 installed on a Mac Mini with an Intel processor and Snow Leopard OSX 10.6.8. (with Rosetta since CS2 is a PPC application). The PsCS2 software functions perfectly. Recently I became aware that the PhotoKit plugins have stopped being updated, and are available as a free download. Having read countless articles about the virtues of the PhotoKit sharpener, I have for a long time wanted to test the PhotoKit sharpener on medium format scans from the Epson V750. Unfortunately I seem unable to make the free PhotoKit plugins to function in CS2.

Had anybody here experience with Photoshop CS2 + the latest versions of the PhotoKit plugins on a Mac?

Should run fine in that old version of Photoshop.

Thank you for your reply! Good to know that it should run fine in Photoshop CS2. I wonder what I am doing wrong?

The PhotoKit 'PG Toolbox Plug-in Module' folder has been installed in the correct folder (plugins/Adobe Photoshop Only/Automate) in CS2, and the PhotoKit plugins show up in the "Automate" meny. But when trying to activate the PhotoKit plugins on a 16 bit RGB tiff scan from the Epson 750 I end up with the infamous "spinning wheel" or application crash.

Try trashing your Photoshop preferences. Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) immediately after launching Photoshop. You will be prompted to delete the current settings.

(Mac OS only) Open the Preferences folder in the Library folder, and drag the Adobe Photoshop CS Settings folder to the Trash.

This action only affects the items found in the preferences dialog box. Numerous program settings are stored in the Adobe Photoshop Preferences file, including general display options, file-saving options, performance options, cursor options, transparency options, type options, and options for plug‑ins and scratch disks. Brushes (and lots of other setting) are not affected by the above instructions for deleting preferences. You may wish to make a screen capture of the settings in the Preferences dialog to reset them prior to deleting of this file.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

I tried trashing the photoshop preferences, but CS2 still does not load the PhotoKit plugins. I also tried to make Photoshop CS2 accept the PhotoKit plugins on my ancient Mac Powerbook G4 running OSX Leopard 10.5.8., with no luck. CS2 behaves very similarly on the Intel Mac Mini OSX 10.6.8. and on the Powerbook G4 OSX 10.5.8., it does not load the plugins. When going to the file menu "About Plugins" on both computers, CS2 crashes when wanting "About" the PhotoKit plugins.

PixelGenius write on their homepage: "The products should work with versions of Photoshop going back to Photoshop CS2 and up to Photoshop CC 2018 on Mac and Windows." I suspect that the (free downloadable) last versions of the PhotoKit plugins only work with Intel Macs, and thus need Photoshop CS3 or newer Photoshop versions. (I hope I am mistaken, because I only have CS2, and only need Photoshop to run PhotoKit Sharpener 2).

I suspect that the (free downloadable) last versions of the PhotoKit plugins only work with Intel Macs, and thus need Photoshop CS3 or newer Photoshop versions. (I hope I am mistaken, because I only have CS2, and only need Photoshop to run PhotoKit Sharpener 2).

That suspicion isn't correct, you are mistaken. Something is hosed with the host, Photoshop.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Also not sure what you mean by CS2 still does not load the PhotoKit plugins.

The PhotoKit plugins appear in the file menu, but CS2 is unable to load the plugins (OSX 10.5.8 and OSX 10.6.8). Instead the "spinning ball" shows up, or the application crashes. Is this comprehensible?