EOS 7D or EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II USM?

ssvane

Hi, I could use a bit of input on what equipment to buy for a trip to Kilimanjaro and a bit of safari. As the title suggest I am trying to figure out which way to go in terms of value since I do not have money to do both.

Currently I have the following equipment: Canon EOS 6D (primarily for landscape photography) and a Canon EF70-300 mm1:4-5.6 IS USM for telezoom. I also have a couple of wide angle lenses for landscape.

I have never been on a safari before so I have no idea of the distances to the wildlife. The question I am trying to answer, is if I would be better of (considering the gear I have already) buying and carrying and extra camera body such as the EOS 7D mk II or EOS 80D which have faster autofocus than the 6D or buying a L-series telezoom such as the EF 100-400 mm F4.5-5.6L?

Or do you guys have completely different suggestions? Any input would be appreciated!

It's been a long time for me, but your your 70-300m gives you the ability to shoot both far and near.

The 100-400mm range is nice- I have the mark 1 version, but sometimes the low end can be a little tight.

I think adding an APS-C body like the 7D is good, but the "Rebel" cameras offer some cost-effective APS-C alternatives. In any case, for such a trip you need two bodies for backup and for different format advantages.

I'd definitely suggest one of the 24-105mm zooms or so for the 6D body.