Poll: How many of us will go for the MP?

john_a.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I lost one of my cameras, I would buy an MP. I have two TTLs and a M2 and see no reason to get an MP right now. I do not use flash very much but, when I do, I appreciate having TTL. If the M7 had a proper exposure lock that would allow you to hold a reading over multiple exposures rather than just one, then the M7 would be the way to go for me.

I stick to my trusty to MP chrome predecessors w/o meters AKA the Leica M2. The MP is just too expensive to justify the bit of faster loading and the additional meter functionality. You can easily buy 3 M2s for the price of 1 MP (chrome models only, black paint would be difficult). I would rather invest in better glass and more travels !

If somebody can tell me what exactly is improved over the M6 line, besides looks (lovely, and

no red dot) and IF they actually reverted to the brass engineering and real tight hand fitting

(instead of replace) and QC of the M3/M2/M4, count me in. But would they have kept the

tooling? I doubt it. If I take the plunge, maybe the saving on black electric tape to cover the red

dot and front engraving will make up for the expense. ;-)

Oh to hell with the drivel I posted above. This is a chance to buy a REAL black paint Leica with a meter and a Leicavit!!! Of course I am going to order one! Maybe ten!! If I sell my other cameras, house, car, first born child I could just afford one...

Oi ! I think I have got to stop staring at the MP's pdf. Maybe Erwin's histrionics and hyperbole is the only sane reaction?

You go, John! I already have two ordered cost be damned!

despite knowing well that Leica prices fall after the market is

saturated. (Given the comments here, it seems the demand will

take a while to be met.) Yes, it's nothing but a gussied up M6

but I haven't seen so much interest from the Leica consuming

community ever. The M6 TTL was met with so many "so whats."

The M7 stirred a bit of activity. But this MP and the MP6........

I'm happy with the M6s and my old, trusty M3. As far as the viewfinder flare is concerned. I have Lutz's "Shade" on the .58s and not on the .85 which is reserved for the "Luxes".

I'm getting too old to break(me)in new things.

to me, the MP has the feel of a retro/special edition camera. as such, it just doesn't seem like a "real" camera to me. i would be very self-consious using such a quaint/precious device. i guess i am also somewhat disappointed that leica has made the MP its standard production mechanical M. i feel very strongly that this signals a complete abandonment of any pretense of providing professionals with a no-nonsense mechanical camera. the camera has now become like morgan coachworks or JLC, producing an overtly retro product for an afficianado/collector/hobbyist market. i guess you could argue that the M7 is the no-nonsense "pro" model, but i think the only real pro niche that leica conceivably could still have lies with robust mecahnical cameras. to a pro, the M7 is neither fish nor fowl. looked at objectively, the M7 is best described as the world's non-plus-ultra point and shoot. i guess what i would have liked to have seen from leica is an all brass M8 or M3.5 with the improved VF, improved mechanical transport, a 1/2000 shutter speed, no meter, improved body covering, and a price tag of around $1400. this would be a nice thing for a pro to have in his bag as a quiet back up.

Simply the fact that the MP doesn't have the much improved turn-360-either-direction-larger shutter dial of the M7 makes it quite apparent this is a retro-nostalgic endeavor and not an in full catering to the needs of a photographer. I agree with Roger in that.

Not enough differences for me to buy one. I'd like the upgraded RF in my M7 though. I'm to enamoured with the AE of the M7 to go back an M6/M3 clone. Yes, I wish the M7 offered an OM-4/3-type set-until-cancelled AE lock, but it's not coming, IMO.

The ideal, non-I've-got-to-have-the-latest-toy candidate for an MP seems to be an older, pre-TLL M user who wants an updated body whose SS dial is the same. I can't see the real value in an MP vs an M6 or M6 TTL. Less flare? Black paint? Maybe, but the difference between a used M6 and the MP buys a lot of film.

If I want a Leicavit, I'll re-buy a Rapidwinder (I really like the M-Motor more, that's why I sold my RW). I'm not bending over to the tune of $900 for one.

If I want a black paint camera, I'll have my M3 painted.

There will be no MP for me........yes....yes, not for me.....(I just have to keep telling myself that...)

<I>...and not an in full catering to the needs of a photographer.</I><P>

Hmmm, Let's see. It holds film in a light tight chamber, it has adjustable shutter speeds, you can mount a lens with a variable aperture, it has a way to both determine focus and exposure... well it meets my needs. Plus, it looks great!

No, I don't think I will buy a MP. As far as images are concerned, my M6 will produce whatever my skills are capable of.

However I like the "retro" look. If they would engrave new top covers with the complete script and the model number and serial number of my current M6, along with sell the fittings (e.g. all metal PV lever, old style advance and rewind levers, Auf-Zu baseplate w/cassette activating disk) I would certainly consider purchasing them for fitting on my M6.

Doubtless such a service would not be cheap but I'd be hard pressed to imagine it even near half the cost of a MP. I suspect it could be a lucrative business for them. My M6 is coming up for its 10 year CLA in a year or two, which would provide an additional economy to the swap.

Best,

Jerry

In practical terms the only plus of the MP is the lack of flare - that alone makes it worthy of consideration. If I ever get another M I would be strongly tempted by the MP 0.85x over an M6TTL or M7 version, but probably will find the price too steep.
Robin Smith

Hmmmm.....a lot of you seem to be <i>really</i> trying hard to convince yourselves you don't want/need one.....but we know the truth!<p>The Leica MP is the only Leica in my lifetime that I would consider purchasing new. Up until now I have had to make do with the better products of yesteryear (obviously secondhand) that were IMO vastly superior to current offerings.<p>The MP changes all that.<p>I am mighty impressed, well done Leica.<p>The M7 created some interest but nothing compared to this it seems, at last they give us what we want.

Eventually I am going to "splurge" in an MP. Why? I want the most rugged M camera I can get to travel with. I like the the rewind crank. If you happen to bump the side of your camera it will not be knocked out of whack. The advance level does not have plastic that can inadvertantly break. The finder is the best finder ever made for a mechanical M. I am not getting the black paint but the chrome and it's going to be 0.58. That is the most practical setup for travel. Black paint is beautiful but fragile. Brassing has a certain romance to it but it represents deterioration. And deterioration does not stop.

The MP is "retro." Retro in this case has practical applications.

I do have a certain amount of skepticism concerning the Leicavit. It cannot take a grip like the Abrahamsson Rapidwinder. It is made of brass, with is softer than the aluminum used for the Rapidwinder. And it is way overpriced.

Leica has created a winner in the MP.