Fashion 101 w/ 4x5

john grunke

Fashion is out of my area. However I decided to take the assignment

anyway due to my clients insistance.

I need to shoot the perverbial dress tie, shirt, and models chin/

hand shot. My plans are to keep a comfortable distance from subject

and fill 4x5 image. Should I rent a ring light? Rent soft boxes?

Or use umbrellas or bare norman bulb that I already have. for even

light accross model.

I will be using a warming filter(?) and shooting trans(?).

All thoughts, experiences to share, tech. input

and incouragement greatly appreciated.

Thanks

JG

Wow what a can of worms. First if you can shoot color neg it makes your life much simpler. As far as lighting goes any of those lights could work just fine it all depends on the look you are going for. I'd probably stay away from the ring light just because it's to done right now. A little warming filter is always nice one people i'd say 1/4 or 1/8 cto on the heads or an 81a on the lens should be nice. I guess the main things would be to make sure you have enough power in your packs to get what you need in focus, for me this ussually involes turning the power all the way down and sometimes adding n/ds but that another story all together. I'd say first talk with you client about images they like so you can get a general idea as to weather you need soft boxes,umbrella's or who knows what else. Then you can start planning your lighting sceme around something you all ready know they like rather than going in blindly and then finding out later that they really wanted x effect with lights but you've only rented y type of lights.

good luck.

www.dougphoto.com

1.) Think about the way you want the lighting to appear and then work backward to decide what will be the best tools. it is easier to use softboxes than umbrellas but you still have to think about the way you want the lighting to look. My advise is that if you are not comfortable with studio set ups, hire the gear and a super knowlegable assistant to se the gear u. Your client is paying you for your eye -- not your ability to set up equipment, your job will be directing the assistant who does that, as wel las directing the "talent." in front of the camera. And remeber:Polaroid is your friend when lighting.

John,

Ellis has great advice. Hire the best assistant and gear available to you in your area. Run many tests with the rental equipment and lighting set-ups to achieve the results. My guess is that your client is impressed with your 4x5 work and wants that type of quality. My humble suggestion is to shoot the event in medium format and save the 4x5 for special images of the organizer of the event and the featured designer(s). MF will allow you more flexibilty and the ability to react more quickly to changing circumstances.

Oh, one more suggestion. Cash in advance.

If you arn't too familiar with this style of shoot and you dont want to be seen to stuff about, as well as sugested above hire your talent if not suplied. Experienced models know their bodies and poses giving quicker results. To use raw talent requires considerable knowledge and patience unless your damn lucky.