f6 meter coupling lever modification

evan_bedford2

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the better approach is to covert those pre-AI lenses into AI, unless you have a collector lens that you don't want such conversion. I bought my first Nikon camera way back in 1977, the very year they introduced AI. Pre-AI is really old technology by now.

The F mount has been around for 60 years, the first 18 being pre-AI and the last 42 so far is AI.

Your 28/4 PC may fit the F6 (or F100) even without conversion. Early production lenses (serial no 174081 - 1806xx) have a barrel which extends beyond the mount, in theory it would conflict with the AI follower on the camera. However the barrel may be thin enough that it will slip under the follower and not cause any damage if you are careful (I know this is true of some pre-AI lenses, I think this is one, but take care!)

Lenses with higher serial numbers were modified so the barrel stops short of the mount, they clear the AI follower and are safe to mount on AI cameras.

Some people don't like seeing their aperture rings hacked up with a cheesy scale taped on.

Mr. White is a pleasure to do business with, and does a fast, smooth, professional job (inexpensive as well!). The lenses function perfectly - I've had him do at least eight lenses, probably more. Yes there is a paper scale, never been a problem, never come off. I can see where a Collector might be bothered, not an actual photographer.

• Like 2

Mr. White is a pleasure to do business with, and does a fast, smooth, professional job (inexpensive as well!). The lenses function perfectly - I've had him do at least eight lenses, probably more. Yes there is a paper scale, never been a problem, never come off. I can see where a Collector might be bothered, not an actual photographer.

And, Mr. Moderator, are you saying that it's not possible for a person to be both?

So... is there a third party willing to do the modification? (I've not dared ask Nikon UK yet.) I have an F5 which I wouldn't mind converting, just for completeness - I don't have any pre-AI glass, but you never know.

I don't really understand why the flippable aperture follower tab wasn't default on the F5 and F6. Surely it can't have added much to the cost of the camera, and by the 1990s it wasn't necessary to encourage many people to buy AI lenses rather than pre-AI ones.

So... is there a third party willing to do the modification? (I've not dared ask Nikon UK yet.) I have an F5 which I wouldn't mind converting, just for completeness - I don't have any pre-AI glass, but you never know.

I don't really understand why the flippable aperture follower tab wasn't default on the F5 and F6. Surely it can't have added much to the cost of the camera, and by the 1990s it wasn't necessary to encourage many people to buy AI lenses rather than pre-AI ones.

I guess it doesn't matter since according one exaulted administrator here, non-collectors should just AI convert their lenses, and being a collector means that one somehow or another can't also be an actual photographer.

I should say also that I've meant to call and ask Nikon US about it, since I sincerely would like to have my F5 and F6 done, but am afraid I've missed my chance. I wonder if it's a matter of it being the same part on both cameras and Nikon only offered on the F6 from now-depleted stock for the F5. That's purely speculation on my part, though.

:-) I'm less a collector, more a hoarder, although I'm not sure I qualify as a "photographer" either by many standards (ability, output, income...) But I'm also a completist, and I'd rather have an F5 that can handle pre-AI lenses than one that can't, in case I ever encounter one (which might belong to someone else who doesn't want me to mangle it). My F5 is missing too much paint to qualify as a collector's item - and it was bought that way.

It was also bought with half an eye on the fact that, at the time, the F5 with an aperture ring modification is as universally compatible as Nikon bodies got: it had full-time mirror lock-up for intrusive fish-eyes, unlike the F6 (although it couldn't matrix meter with pre-AI like the F6), and it could enable VR unlike the F4 - and handle G lenses "properly". It's no longer truly universal, now that E aperture and AF-P lenses have appeared. Without the mod, it's no more compatible than an F100 (although it does have a nicer meter).

I vaguely wondered whether a third party might be offering replacement rings. They can't be that hard to make (although I wouldn't like to try to fit one, knowing vaguely how they're connected); I also wonder whether replacement parts for the Df fit, although it might be cheaper just to source a pre-modified F5.

:) I'm less a collector, more a hoarder, although I'm not sure I qualify as a "photographer" either by many standards (ability, output, income...) But I'm also a completist, and I'd rather have an F5 that can handle pre-AI lenses than one that can't, in case I ever encounter one (which might belong to someone else who doesn't want me to mangle it). My F5 is missing too much paint to qualify as a collector's item - and it was bought that way.

It was also bought with half an eye on the fact that, at the time, the F5 with an aperture ring modification is as universally compatible as Nikon bodies got: it had full-time mirror lock-up for intrusive fish-eyes, unlike the F6 (although it couldn't matrix meter with pre-AI like the F6), and it could enable VR unlike the F4 - and handle G lenses "properly". It's no longer truly universal, now that E aperture and AF-P lenses have appeared. Without the mod, it's no more compatible than an F100 (although it does have a nicer meter).

I vaguely wondered whether a third party might be offering replacement rings. They can't be that hard to make (although I wouldn't like to try to fit one, knowing vaguely how they're connected); I also wonder whether replacement parts for the Df fit, although it might be cheaper just to source a pre-modified F5.

It has been a few years - all the lenses I wanted done have been modified, but then, on occasion, John White did have OEM parts - you would need to check his site, and / or query in regard to the particular lens you are interested in.

The Ai-tab mod for the F5 was a limited time offer from Nikon.ca who had limited parts for a service that wasn't wildly popular even back in the day--much less now. Get a Df, have your NAI glass dremel-ed or crown some new shelf queens unless you plan to shoot film. Many caught like you opted for adapters and use(d) old Nikkors on MILCs--happily.

Obviously there are collectors who are photographers, never said there weren't. I frequently see their fine images posted. It is a question of priorities - flexibility to use lenses across a variety of newer cameras than they were designed for, or original condition.

Well, your statement proposed it as an either-or matter, and frankly came across as an insult to people who just happened to disagree with you on that.

Nothing other than what I would have expected from you, but still...

What on earth can an F6 offer that any other film Nikon made since 1990 can't?

A sprocket-hole ripping frame rate maybe?

Or more 'sophisticated' metering that still manages to deliver bad exposures?

Perhaps it tugs on your shoulder-strap and whispers "Pssst! There's a great picture over there that you nearly walked past." No?

Perhaps it tugs on your shoulder-strap and whispers "Pssst! There's a great picture over there that you nearly walked past." No?

Most people who crap on the F6 have never used one.

It's not an insanely high speed camera like the F5, but rather just a higher quality and more refined version of the F100. It fixes all the little issues and weaknesses, adds the AF system from the D2 series(which gives you more AF points and better sensitivity), and one of the big things for me is its menus are actually comprehensible. It has all the F5 data back functionality built in to it, which gives you a bunch of options for things like between-frame exposure data(or other information) imprinting, and there again doesn't require you looking at the manual to figure it out.

Nikon's stated design goal for the F6 was to create the most refined 35mm SLR ever, and in my opinion they managed it.

It's also compatible with the Nikon CLS flash system.

• Like 1

I've seen threads on various sites where people have speculated on if there will ever be a Nikon F7, which I'm sure there never will be.

But, the F6 is so good there's really no need for one.

It's probably wishful thinking on my part. I'd love to see a slightly updated version of the F6, perhaps a F6s !

Make it compatible with AFS-E and AF-P lenses and update the dot matrix lcd on the back to an easier to read color one, similar to what's on the DSLR's.

I'd buy one the moment it was released!

The Ai-tab mod for the F5 was a limited time offer from Nikon.ca who had limited parts for a service that wasn't wildly popular even back in the day--much less now. Get a Df, have your NAI glass dremel-ed or crown some new shelf queens unless you plan to shoot film. Many caught like you opted for adapters and use(d) old Nikkors on MILCs--happily.

Well, the Df can't handle invasive fish-eyes, not that I have any. It's also got the handling of a Df (sorry, I was brought up on the new dial philosophy), can't do stop-down metering, and you can't do things like take the prism off for a WLF. Also, no film, although I shoot so little film these days that it would be hypocritical of me to complain. I personally don't have any NAI glass - I just like the idea of being able to use any that someone might decide to show to me, so carrying a portable mill with me lacks some appeal. Mirrorless does solve the problems (if I don't like screwdriver autofocus or, in some cases, wide-open composition), I just already have the F5, so making the most of it has some appeal. I suppose I should confirm with Nikon UK just in case, but I'm not holding out much hope.

RJ - were you worried about the F6 or F5? The F6 is no faster than the F5 (and slower without the bonus grip), and I was under the impression that it had approximately the same meter (as did everything high-end up until the D7000, although I'm sure the firmware changed). The F5 certainly tugs on your shoulder straps...

The F5 has an AF motor that appears to have come from a power drill, but the actual five-point system is extremely primitive (in terms of point coverage, being able to see the points you've selected, and the way the rear controller works); my introduction to dSLRs was an Eos 300D (in 2004), and even that had a 7-point system. The ergonomics are what you'd expect if you took a D5 and then un-refined it by 20 years (especially the portrait grip). It also has the comedy control interlocks that make me feel like I'm doing the finger-tutting spell casting from The Magicians. I'm glad I have one, but there's no way I consider it as nice to use as my dSLRs, except possibly as a weapon.

For the F6 there is no need for the aperture scale as the F6 doesn't have the ADR.

That is, there's no benefit to one. As Ben says, that doesn't mean it wouldn't be nice to see what aperture you'd selected if the lens doesn't interlock with the aperture system.

I've seen threads on various sites where people have speculated on if there will ever be a Nikon F7, which I'm sure there never will be.

But, the F6 is so good there's really no need for one.

It's probably wishful thinking on my part. I'd love to see a slightly updated version of the F6, perhaps a F6s !

Make it compatible with AFS-E and AF-P lenses and update the dot matrix lcd on the back to an easier to read color one, similar to what's on the DSLR's.

I'd buy one the moment it was released!

There's no way an F7 would make money. I'd vaguely like to see Nikon licence the mount details to a third party who might be able to manufacture a less refined camera - just as a completist, I'd still like to see a body that can handle every lens ever, from NAI invasive fisheyes to AF-P and E aperture, ideally with the mechanical AI interlocks to do the FA-style shutter priority trick. I'm not sure I'd buy one, but I'd like to know it existed. To be honest, I'd be as happy with it as a dSLR, but I'm assuming film.

There are plenty of things that could be improved about the F6 (I've never seen one, but as I understand it). I'm not sure a colour LCD would help without needing a dSLR-like battery, but there's always eInk. The matrix meter and AF systems have been updated a lot since the F6's day. Certainly menus could be a little more user-friendly, and the whole thing could probably be made a bit thinner. The number of people who'd pay for one for genuine benefits over an F6 has to be small - if Nikon want a collectors' camera, they could just put a different shell on F6 parts, as Leica do.

The F6 is definitely a better "rich amateur" camera than the F5, which is arguably a better workhorse. The F6 (even used) is still silly money (which I define as "more than a D700"), so I never looked seriously at one. If an F7 were to appear, I somehow doubt F6 owners would be selling theirs.

That is, there's no benefit to one. As Ben says, that doesn't mean it wouldn't be nice to see what aperture you'd selected if the lens doesn't interlock with the aperture system.

He meant the guy who modified the lens put in a lousy aperture scale for the ADR. The original aperture scale is still there. So in the case of the F6 the secondary aperture scale on AI/AI's lenses serves no purpose. And yeah Ben, the thread is about the F6 and Pre AI lenses.