Nikon Announces the Development of D6 and 120-300mm/f2.8 in F Mount

ShunCheung

I thought people claiming 5-axis IS generally combined sensor shift with a lens-based system, the former handling translation better and the latter handling rotation better? Canon's 100mm macro has multi-axis IS support (with a view to handling translation errors at short distances), but I'm not quite clear how it works. Maybe that was optimistic of me. I'm probably over-thinking what Canon are doing, although I maintain that it would be quite cool to apply post-focus this way.

Presumably nobody supports in-body focus correction (stabilisation towards/away from the camera) with manual lenses by moving the sensor perpendicular to its plane? (Since the old Minolta that did this with film, anyway.)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been my understanding that 5-axis refers to x,y, roll, pitch and yaw; the sensor, however, can ever only move in a plane (tilting it breaks the needed parallelism between the sensor plane and the plane of the mount, resulting in partially OOF images). Here's an "explanation" (scroll down to Matt G''s posts): diglloyd blog: Sony In-Body-Image-Stabilization (IBIS) aka SteadyShot: Is There a Downside?

• 2 weeks later...