Sexton Work Shop Schedule out for 2003

gene crumpler

You don't need that much experience but do need to have an intense desire to really dig in for this in depth 8am-11:30pm 5 day workshop if you are talking about the expressive print darkroom course at his home. This is one of the best teaching experiences I have had, but it is full bore for the five+ days. Very inspirational. Several participants in my course shot medium format and did well with the experience. Having at least ten good prints for the critique is critical as well as some experience working in the darkroom so that what is shown makes sense.

You actually don't need to use a large format camera at all to attend and greatly benefit from any of the three darkroom workshops that John conducts. At the time I attended the first two I used only a medium format camera and there were a couple people in the first one who used a 35mm camera. A short amount of time is spent in all three of them talking about use of a large format camera, and a little of the film developing information is relevant only to large format, but those are very small segments of the total workshops.

The main thing used to be to get your application in the day you received the schedule or you were out of luck. John's workshops used to fll very quickly. They still may though digital must have had some effect on demand. I hope they do because if you're serious about traditional darkroom printing, or even photography in general, you owe it to yourself to attend at least one of these terrific workshops. It's probably overkill to attend all three - the one at Anderson Ranch lasts for two weeks and is kind of a combination of the other two one week workshops - but I still loved it.

Here's the schedule and info on the workshop;

http://johnsexton.com/schedule2003.html

I took his basic workshop last year and learned a lot. It is intense, from 8:30 to 10:30. Some great meals though. John says his workshop is the filler between the meals! Also pleenty of time to talk with John. The critique of your prints and negatives is worth the whole workshop experience and expense. For us long time darkroom workers, seeing John printing with his incredible skills is like watching a conductor leading a symphony. I had tears in my eyes at one point watching him dodge and burn a print. Seeing a true master at work. WOW. John has a lot of stories about AA and the Westons that are just wonderful.

John works with a suprising small amount of equipment. He had to borrow a hasselblad to shoot a trip to China.

Seeing his orginal prints is very inspiring.

I plan to send in my application today for the advanced printing workshop by Fed Ex today.

I took John's first course a few years ago, before I bought my 4x5. At that time, I thought, "Why listen to this large format stuff when I could be taking photos?" So I took my MF camera and shot some photos, and missed his discussion of LF movements, etc. during a field trip. Well, I have been kicking myself since then. Who knew?

The course was outstanding. It did not matter whether you had a LF camera or not. It is just great to be totally immersed in your photography, surrounded by people doing the same. John and Anne really put themselves into the workshop 110%. He has a great sense of humor. The sessions are interesting and entertaining. You really get your $ worth. If you are interested and have the chance, take the course. I hope to take the advanced class at some point.