Bug on rear element of Zeiss Planar. Easy to clean?

oli_sones

Hi all,

I've just received a Zeiss Planar 80mm f2.8 as part of the Hasselblad 500cm kit. Annoyingly there appears to be a very small bug on the rear element of the lens. I say bug, as it could be fungus, but I can just make out some legs and a wing...!

RfLJUdy.jpg

Has anyone had experience of cleaning the rear element of the 80mm or should I send it away to get serviced? I see there are some tutorials online for removing the rear element, but keen to hear any successes/failures.

Thanks in advance.

Hard to tell from your pic. Could be a dried-out bug that got stuck in there ten years ago, or it might be a fungus bloom. Either way, it isn't coming out: Hasselblad lenses are notorious for the inside surface of their front and rear elements being sealed and inaccessible for cleaning (how fungus and insects manage to get in there, I'll never understand). If you do find a repair tech willing to take a shot at opening the rear lens cell, expect to pay at least $150 for the cleaning: while its open, you may as well have the shutter overhauled as well.

It looks like you have a few other spots on the outside glass surface that could be the "water stain" fungus. This should come off with a soft lens cloth moistened with hydrogen peroxide. Try this on the "bug" too: if you're really lucky, its actually outside the lens and might come off with peroxide. But if its stuck on the inside, you'll need to decide how you want to proceed. As far as effect on lens performance, don't worry about it. A tiny transparent imperfection like that, in this location, has no impact on anything: I have a Hassy 100mm Planar with a pockmark ding in the glass in that location, and you'd never know from the great pics it makes.

Which way to handle this "bug" depends on two factors: how much you paid for the camera package, and how much of a gambler you are. If the total price was very reasonable or below current market value ($800 or less with WLF and A12), and everything is otherwise in nice functional condition, you might want to consider just living with it. OTOH, if you paid the going rate for a super-perfect 500cm kit (more than $900), perhaps you should request a return/refund based on this lens defect. It can be a difficult decision, I know: in USA right now, nice 500cm packages are scarce- if you return this one it may be awhile until you score another.

Despite all the internet horror stories about fungus, in practical terms it doesn't always have to mean "OMG, the sky is falling, I must sell all my lenses now and burn the house down". One very tiny fungus bloom in one lens is disappointing, but more often than you'd think it will just sit there inert for years (and might even be dead already). Even better, it might really be a dead insect, in which case it is totally harmless.

I have this exact type of fungal bloom behind the front element edge of my 150mm Sonnar, and it hasn't changed in the six years I've owned the lens. I basically got the 150mm for free, because it was infested with fungus like you wouldn't believe (from garage storage) and had a slow shutter. After my local camera tech cleaned it up, the glass and coating were crystal clear except for the one tiny bloom he couldn't get to behind the front element. I decided to live with it and just monitor the lens closely for any changes: so far, nothing for years now. I forget its there unless I look for it. Environment plays a role: I live in NYC, which is only very humid for a couple months in summer. If you live in a year-round hot humid climate known to promote fungal growth (Florida, Louisiana, etc), keeping a lens with potential fungus may be riskier.

Edited by orsetto

Pretty sure that's fungus . . . Pretty sure it's on the inside. No harm in giving the front and rear a good cleaning. Spots like this are more of a problem on the rear element than it would be on the front but this doesn't look substantive.
  • Like 1

Hard to tell from your pic. Could be a dried-out bug that got stuck in there ten years ago, or it might be a fungus bloom. Either way, it isn't coming out: Hasselblad lenses are notorious for the inside surface of their front and rear elements being sealed and inaccessible for cleaning (how fungus and insects manage to get in there, I'll never understand). If you do find a repair tech willing to take a shot at opening the rear lens cell, expect to pay at least $150 for the cleaning: while its open, you may as well have the shutter overhauled as well.

It looks like you have a few other spots on the outside glass surface that could be the "water stain" fungus. This should come off with a soft lens cloth moistened with hydrogen peroxide. Try this on the "bug" too: if you're really lucky, its actually outside the lens and might come off with peroxide. But if its stuck on the inside, you'll need to decide how you want to proceed. As far as effect on lens performance, don't worry about it. A tiny transparent imperfection like that, in this location, has no impact on anything: I have a Hassy 100mm Planar with a pockmark ding in the glass in that location, and you'd never know from the great pics it makes.

Which way to handle this "bug" depends on two factors: how much you paid for the camera package, and how much of a gambler you are. If the total price was very reasonable or below current market value ($800 or less with WLF and A12), and everything is otherwise in nice functional condition, you might want to consider just living with it. OTOH, if you paid the going rate for a super-perfect 500cm kit (more than $900), perhaps you should request a return/refund based on this lens defect. It can be a difficult decision, I know: in USA right now, nice 500cm packages are scarce- if you return this one it may be awhile until you score another.

Despite all the internet horror stories about fungus, in practical terms it doesn't always have to mean "OMG, the sky is falling, I must sell all my lenses now and burn the house down". One very tiny fungus bloom in one lens is disappointing, but more often than you'd think it will just sit there inert for years (and might even be dead already). Even better, it might really be a dead insect, in which case it is totally harmless.

I have this exact type of fungal bloom behind the front element edge of my 150mm Sonnar, and it hasn't changed in the six years I've owned the lens. I basically got the 150mm for free, because it was infested with fungus like you wouldn't believe (from garage storage) and had a slow shutter. After my local camera tech cleaned it up, the glass and coating were crystal clear except for the one tiny bloom he couldn't get to behind the front element. I decided to live with it and just monitor the lens closely for any changes: so far, nothing for years now. I forget its there unless I look for it. Environment plays a role: I live in NYC, which is only very humid for a couple months in summer. If you live in a year-round hot humid climate known to promote fungal growth (Florida, Louisiana, etc), keeping a lens with potential fungus may be riskier.

Thanks Orsetto. I only paid £599 ($760) for the kit including an A12 and WLF, which I felt was quite a steal. I have as a matter of course contacted the seller as this wasn't mentioned on the description (in fact they said it was clear of fungus and marks). I shan't expect much back, but better to raise it now. The body seems to operate well although I might take it for a CLA as I plan to shoot with it a fair bit.

I'm in London, so not too humid for most of the year.

Pretty sure that's fungus . . . Pretty sure it's on the inside. No harm in giving the front and rear a good cleaning. Spots like this are more of a problem on the rear element than it would be on the front but this doesn't look substantive.

This appears to be on the rear although I can't tell whether it's on the inside of the element or the outside.

Cleaning interior surfaces, especially for complex lenses, is usually not feasible. I think it's fungus too.

You can probably shoot the lens as it is with little effect, except perhaps at very small apertures.

Ultraviolet won't make it go away, but it may kill the fungus and keep it from spreading.

• Like 3

Thanks for all your responses. I took the camera to Aperture Leica here in London this afternoon to get a CLA. The mark on the rear element is indeed a small bug! The camera itself is in very good condition according to the technician but he will give it a lubrication, as well as removing the offending bug from the lens and given in a clean and lubrication.
  • Like 1