Tethering a Digital Camera

I would be interested in hearing about your experiences regarding tethering a camera to a computer. I recently acquired a Pentax 645Z and loaded the Ricoh plugin for Lightroom on my PC. All this provides is essentially a glorified, computerized shutter release button on my PC desktop. The Ricoh Digital Camera Utility program that comes with the 645Z, also installed on the PC, will allow me to transfer the images via a USB3 connection but will not permit any adjustment of the camera itself (such as shutter speed, aperture, focus, WB, etc). I would like to be able to control remotely at least these basic camera functions.

My own tethering experience is very limited; I bought mainly the wrong cameras and don't use LR at home.

At work (products, studio) They have something Nikon I'm unable to use spontaneously. Tethering it via an USB extension cord worked quite well.

The advantage of tethering is: Your computer will most likely have a better screen, than your camera; so doing your sharpness & histogram chimping there is a workflow improvement.

I would like to be able to control remotely at least these basic camera functions.

So what? - IF EOS offers a chance to do so, will you scoop one up & ditch your good Pentax MF?!? - To me it seems cheaper to rig up a semi mobilized PC and move it's screen into your sight where ever you stand, hands on your camera.

Building your own RC kit for the camera would of course be possible but a lot more effort most likely barely justified by the result;s poor ergonomics.

The only tethering I’ve done is with something called a Camranger, (www.camranger.com) .

Unfortunately it only works with certain cameras, but gives a lot of control. Pretty much all the original poster asked for and more.

You get live view of what the camera sees on your handheld device and can select focus point with a screen tap.

Glenn

One of the things I miss about my long but limited foray into the Canon EOS system was how well tethering worked.

I always used Canon's software and just plugged the camera into my laptop via a USB cable. In many cases, I was doing this for macro work, and I could look at live view on my laptop screen and then tweak focus manually using the focus motor in the lens-something that in my experience was a lot more precise than the turning the ring on the lens since DOF is razor thin at those distances and that let me turn it only a tiny amount at a time.

Once it was all set, I could release the shutter from the computer and have the image on my hard drive immediately.

I haven't bought Nikon's expensive tethering software because I don't have a confirmed answer on whether or not it will give me the same level of functionality.

Well, I just installed the Ricoh Pentax Image Transmitter 2 software and gave it try with my 645Z. If tethering software were the deciding factor for my purchase of the 645Z I would cancel the order. The program works but it is so clunky that I can not see how a Pro Photog would be satisfied with using it. For me it will be okay; I will use it occasionally in my backyard, for example, to snap some shots of hummingbirds and such, but beyond that it really is not worth the investment. Regards.