Nikon Mid-term Business Strategy

joseph_smith3

Interesting, and very slightly horrifying.

They're getting into 3D printing? O...kay?

It's good that they've finally worked out that integration with social media might matter (Thom Hogan has been banging on about it; personally I don't really care, and I worry a bit that the market for blogging isn't all that well met by a relatively large ILC, but hey...) although the Nikon Image Space focus worries me. I guess it's nice that they're thinking about it.

They're still getting a list of feature requests for a D850 firmware upgrade. :)

Edit: It's very easy to criticise these things, they're obviously simplified for managerial/non-technical shareholder purposes, and I'm absolutely not qualified to judge. So please don't feel I'm seriously being harsh, or that I feel I know any better. Having a plan is probably better than not having one, I have to admit.

Edited by Andrew Garrard

Interesting, and very slightly horrifying.

They're getting into 3D printing? O...kay?

It's good that they've finally worked out that integration with social media might matter (Thom Hogan has been banging on about it; personally I don't really care, and I worry a bit that the market for blogging isn't all that well met by a relatively large ILC, but hey...) although the Nikon Image Space focus worries me. I guess it's nice that they're thinking about it.

They're still getting a list of feature requests for a D850 firmware upgrade. :)

Edit: It's very easy to criticise these things, they're obviously simplified for managerial/non-technical shareholder purposes, and I'm absolutely not qualified to judge. So please don't feel I'm seriously being harsh, or that I feel I know any better. Having a plan is probably better than not having one, I have to admit.

Why is it horrifying? I don't think they will go out of business but if they do, wouldn't your Nikon's become collectibles?

Nikon has always been into a lot of different stuff, not just cameras. The dSLR market is shrinking and they can see the writing on the wall. Like any business, they'll go after what they can make a buck on. 3-D printing is hot. A lot of other things are hot. dSLRs are not.

30-40 years ago, Nikon sold far fewer cameras and lenses than they do today, and were nicely profitable. I have no worries for their future in the reduced DSLR market. Nikon has been making other products for a long time, and they will continue to do so. They make excellent microscopes - I have seen many in use in laboratories where I conducted accreditation assessments for 20+ years before I retired. And I and many friends have Nikon rifle scopes, regarded as among the best available. I see no reason for my D610 to become a collector's item.

I was under the impression that 3D printing was the next big thing about five years ago. Not to suggest it's not still a thing, but my impression - without being particularly a 3D printing expert - is that Nikon are a bit late to be calling this out as a future growth area. It seemed a bit peripheral to their expertise, although I kind of assume they're talking lasers (with a tie-in to their lithography kit) rather than the typical desktop melted plastic jet. As I said, it's easy to be unduly critical.

Investing in other stuff is critical for Nikon. The 3D printing thing particularly alarmed me, because it's been so hyped, but it may really suit them - in which case, that's why I'm not a Nikon VP.

30-40 years ago Nikon had much less competition, particularly in lenses. They continue to make very good stuff, but so do several competitors, and standing still takes a lot of investment (q.v. Pentax). In part, I'd like Nikon to keep churning on upgrades so I can stay on the treadmill, at least for cheaper options. Otherwise, I don't trust my D850 to work for as long as an F3 has, and possibly even my F5.