Problem with shutter Canon A-1

saramariajensen

Hi

I have a problem and am hoping someone has some answers.

Okay, so I’m new to film photography and not long ago I bought a Canon A-1. The camera worked perfectly.

I didn’t use the camera for a week or so and now there’s a problem with the shutter.

So basically when I try to snap a photo the shutter just closes and stays closed. It is not until I “turn off” the camera that the shutter snaps open again.

I just changed the battery so the battery is brand new!

I’m sorry if the explanation is really bad, I don’t really know how to explain this, plus English is not my first language.

Just to get on the same page about the shutter "opening" and "closing"-the A-1(and most other 35mm SLRs) operates like this when you press the button:

First, the reflex mirror will flip up. This causes the viewfinder to black out.

If the lens is operating at less than maximum aperture, you will see it "stop down", or the iris in the lens close.

The first curtain of the shutter is released. On the A-1, this is a piece of rubberized silk, and if you were to open the film back and look at it, you would see it moving from left to right(it takes about 1/60 second for it to open fully). At this point the shutter is "open" and the film will be exposed to light.

After a set amount of time(according to the shutter speed set) the second curtain is released. This also travels left to right, and takes about 1/60 of a second. Note that at shutter speed shorter than 1/60 of a second, the second curtain will be released before the first curtain has stopped-this results in a slit that "scans" across the film.

(1/60 is also called the flash sync speed, and if you set your A-1 to "Tv" mode, you will note that it's in red on the shutter speed dial).

After the second curtain has closed, the iris in the lens will open back up, and the reflex mirror will go back down. You should then be able to see through the viewfinder again.

Can you set the camera to a slow shutter speed(1 second is good), activate the shutter, and indicate at what point in the above sequence it's stopping?