P645N flash

leigh_dawson

I just bought a P645N and am now on a quest for the perfect flash.

Does anyone who has also purchased this camera also have a flash?

If so, I would appreciate any recommendations and/or comments. I am

wanting to stay with a Pentax flash. All responses appreciated!

Of course, the perfect flash will depend on your definition of perfect. But I can tell you this:

<p>

The Pentax AF400T is a high-quality, high-output portable flash that will provide TTL flash metering with you Pentax camera. It has a bounce/swivel head, 4 different manual power settings in addition to TTL auto and 3 other auto settings, and can use several different power sources. Also, it's BIG. It mounts on a flash bracket that attaches to tripod socket of your camera.

<p>

I use one with my P645. It may be more than you're looking for, but it can do just about anything you could reasonably expect from an on-camera flash.

<p>

Mike

In the new P645N brochure, they suggest the AF500FTZ Auto Zoom Flash. Its supposed to change, automatically, the angle of discharge of the flash from 35mm to 120mm. Does anyone know if the new AF lenses transmit focal length info to the camera body in order to do this? Anyway, this flash offers bounce, trailing shutter sync, multiple emission and slave flash. With 2 FTZ units you are supposed to be able to do contrast-control flash at a 1:2 ratio.

• 3 months later...

I would recommend the Metz 40MZ2 or MZ3. What it offers that the Pentax flashes do not is TTL Auto flash exposure compensation. To me,

convenient control over ratio of flash to ambient light is much more important than some of the other fancy features (although the 40 MZ 2 has plenty of fancy features.) With the Metz, if you want the flash to output 1 and 2/3 stops less light than the ambient reading, all you do is push the appropriate button on the back of the flash to that setting. Pentax 500 does not offer this option, and the 645N does not offer flash exposure compensation from the camera body. Of course there are workarounds, like manually locking the ambient reading and changing the ISO setting on the camera to fool the flash, but this is tiresome by comparison. Another advantage to the METZ is that you can use it on most other camera brands with the appropriate module. I switch it back and forth from the 645N to my Hasselblad 503cxi. Hope this helps.

• 10 months later...

Hello, everyone ...

As you can see, "rather" late in responding. Just purchased the Pentax 645N and the 500 flash. (My very first MF). I find it SUPERB! I have mounted it on a bracket about 6 inches over the camera and the TTL works perfectly: skin tones, lighting, etc ..., excellent.

Also shot mucho portraits at a Baptism using the camera on full manual with a Sekonic 380BII, and Kodak's Portra ISO 400. Never saw photis like this from my 35mm Canon. WOW!

As you can well see, most late in responding ... just purchased my first MF, Pentax 645N, AF500FTZ and the AF 80mm-160mm. All superb, have never seen photos like this with my Canon.

Flash is mounted about 6 inches over the camera on a bracket. Also using Sekonic 380BII for ambient light, floods,etc ...

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, Steve ...

Incredible! One year later and responses still attaching.

Glad your setup is working out for you. "more than one way to skin a cat", for sure. I have tried the Strobe on the AF500FTZ feature with great results. Any experiences to share from your end?

Ray

• 1 year later...

I'm REALLY late with this input, but here goes! I recently bought a Sunpak 444D and would recommend it. It has interchangeable feet so I can use the same flash on my Pentax 645N and my EOS Elan IIE. It has an ISO 100 GN of 120, covering a 35mm lens on a 35mm camera (= 55mm on a 645); has TTL; 3 non-TTL AE settings; manual power ratio from full to 1/16; cost $140 with Pentax foot from B&H. I've been very happy with Sunpak flashes over the last 15 years.

When considering a flash, you have to watch out for the "Maximum Guide Number Game" that flash manufacturers play. The maximum GN on zoom flashes is the GN achieved by narrowing the flash beam to match a longer lens. A flash with a GN of 160 @ 135mm will be 2 stops weaker at 35mm (using 35mm camera parlance) and therefore have a GN of 80.