Protest Rally shots from Melbourne AU

paul_.1

Hi,

Here are some shots i grabbed at the Valentines day protests against

the possible attack on Iraq. They were taken in Melbourne Australia,

it was estimated that there was between 150,000 and 200,000 people

there, the biggest protest rally in Melbourne since the Vietnam war.

I've got a bucket more of them, but i'd had enough of scanning :)

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=281919

Regards,

Paul

Michael; what a wonderful bunch of images, esp. the one with the couple kissing in the foreground(good crop). Noteworthy too is the very effective use of a b&w shot of the Iraqi child. There was a shot of a young Hiroshima victim similarly used in the anti-nuke movement. I also look on in jealousy at the attire: 50,000(at least) came out in Toronto:in the east-west streets(against the prevailing wind) the cold was almost unbearable. Maybe that's why my M-3 f**ked up.

Does anyone know or can anyone point me to any valid, published studies (in a peer reviewed journal, for instance) about the effectiveness of these circle jerks, er, uh, I mean "protests"? Do these things accomplish anything except make those involved feel noble? I don't want any hippie shit about "we stopped a war, man." I want to see direct correlation, scientifically studied.

Well, Bob,<br>

at least they give us "street" photographers (I hate that label, it's so incorrect) a chance to practice our "street" photography, don't they?

<p>

Also, I have not seen as good photos as mine among many published in the papers about those demonstrations. Most of them look customarily bad. That means I can continue to be a hauty bastard and bash fellow photonetters for all infractions against high art of photographing LIFE, both real and imaginary. For example:<Br>

your response is an offtopic wine that has nothing to do with photography, does it? (besides being untrue: while one-time demonstrations are usually as much as ignored, repeated ones, expressing public opinion, affect the politicians at the time of elections. Vietnam war comes to mind first)

Bob,

Why don't you try reading up a bit on the history of industrial relations? Protests, marches, strikes, etc. have been the main tool for protecting workers rights since industry began. But, the method is not limited to workers and unions. Maybe you should read a little about something called the civil rights movement? Events like these helped win equal rights for minorities in our country... Mr. Chong.

There are quite a lot of examples that illustrate how valuable civil protest is, and plenty of literature that is peer reviewed/university press/academic journal stuff. Civil protest pretty much our _only_ form left of direct democratic action, so yeah, it's important.

Are you really that bad of a troll or just a friggin _moron_?

Cheers,

Jesse

to bob chong. i don't think it is possible to "scientifically" study events like you have suggested. scientific method involves controlling variables so that outcomes may be judged as to cause and effect. not possible with protests and whether we invade iraq or not.

however, when 750,000 turn out in london, 400,000 in new york, and even 10,000 here in little ol' austin (george's home), it does help to raise awareness and put pressure on the government. if more people would get out of their suv's, and off their duffs and actually express their views, the numbers would be a lot larger, and the effect more likely to be significant. but when only a minority of the populace care enough to vote, what do you expect? perhaps one of the most "on target" signs i saw at the austin rally was "next time, vote!"

ok, dude. you have me more convinced than ever. no more peace rallies for me. i'm going to lay low with bob. i don't want the cia to take my picture at a rally, then come after me or my family. maybe we should try to alert the 150,000 troops over there.

sorry michael,

i'm short on scanners, not on pictures, but this forum will probably lead me down that path. i'm in the early stages of learning about the whole digital world. a digital camera will probably be the last thing i get. this film addiction is serious.