Glass-lined 8x10 film holder (!?)

cxc

Recently I bought, accidentally (eBay fever - catch it!), an old 8x10

film holder the interior surfaces of which are lined, on both sides,

with thin sheets of glass. Underneath or maybe on the back side of

the glass is a sickly light green color. Naturally it is somewhat

heavier than a normal holder, though not as much as you might assume.

Besides its cheap price (no one else would touch it), does this thing

have any advantage(s)? I can only imagine disadvantages...

TIA,

CXC

Christopher,

I'm going out on a limb here, but could it be a glass plate holder with the plates installed upside-down? I looked at the picture on the auction page and cannot see the strip that would hold the sheetfilm in place. If it is a plate holder, under the hinge will be a spring-loaded clip, probably wooden also, that will pull straight out a bit to allow the glass to be released. A reflective surface like glass just doesn't sound like a good choice to put under the sheetfilm. Most of the holders I've encountered have a flat or matte black surface underneath the film. Hope this helps!

Good luck.

DG

Mechanically, the thing looks just like a normal holder. However, y'all have discouraged me so much that I don't think I want to waste a single sheet of film testing it. I'm putting the thing in the closet so I don't have to look at it anymore...

Maybe this experience will innoculate me against eBay fever...

CXC

Hey! You just bought a film holder that will not pop out of focus when you have extreme temperatur shifting during exposure! or when humidity will make a similar problem.

Get new glasses, and paint wiht liquid emulsion! Use it when you need it, or sell again, now that you know what it is.

Øyvind:D

Today I tried to load a piece of writing paper into this holder and finally noticed that there is no film slot. Yes, this is a glass plate holder (I had no idea the dimensions were so similar). Yes, I am going to use it as a frame. Yes, I am dip.

CXC