car on ocassion. It going to be a portrait camera mainly so no huge

amount of movement, but I want the thing to last for a while. I've

been looking at the horseman le, sinar f2 and arca swiss f. I want

the body under $1500, geared focusing seems pretty important,

otherwise I dont care about weight, just want a steady camera that

will can be operated quickly in the studio. Sooooo many choices,

please share any imput/links you have that could help me make a

choice. Do one of these really stand out or are they all good

choices. Thanks for any help, really appreciate it.

Julian M

Julian I've never felt that a portrait camera needed geared

movements, as look at the old breadboard cameras and

Deardorf cameras that were used for that purpose. Now if you

were going to do product shoots I'd probably suggest something

else. I'll agree with the above poster and suggest a NX or Toyo C

or CX both with lots of used accessories around. Put your money

into nice lights and backgrounds and a myriad of other stuff that

you will need and will cost you more then you think. For a

cheaper field monorail the NX has been highly spoken of, or the

Arca at more money but very nice. If you are already doing portrait

work great, but if not, don't go spending hugh amounts of money

to get started. I shoot my portraits with a RB system I put

together for under $1K and I love it.

As a working professional here is my advice:<P>

Because it has the built in depth of field calculator, my advice is to go with the Sinar F2. The calculator can really shorten your set up time once the subject is in front of the camera. Using the Sinar calculator I tend to err on the side of caution and use the scale for the 6x9cm format instead of the 4x5 format, but that is because I prefer to use the smaller format's circle of confusion (tighter definition of resolution.)<P>Keep your eyes open on eBay and the photo.net classified for a Sinar C, C2, or Sinar P and Sinar X cameras. These models really are a major step up in quality from the Sinar F models and there seem to be a lot of them on the used market these days.<P>Otherwise I prefer the Arca-Swiss F cameras.

If you don't anticipate adding long rails for really long lenses doing close -up work, you will have better success with the Horseman. I've used the Horseman, the Sinar F, and the Arca F Classic. At least with the Horseman, you get gear driven standards. The others, with their free falling standards can be a bit of a pain for catalog work while you are composing under a darkcloth. The Horseman is really beefy, durable, and if you ever upgrade to a Sinar P, your lens boards will fit. The Arca F is great for architecture or location guys when you can take the time to carefully set-up and work, but can be a bit delicate in the fast paced rough and tumble studio catalog environment (The Arca is pretty pricey as well.)

Any of the cameras you are considering will do the job. As you can see from the responses you already have you will find supporters for all of these systems. I echo Ellis' sentiments but will throw a bit mor efat on the fire. I use a Horseman system rather than the Sinar, jsut preference.

You will find the rock solid sturdiness you desire in a Horseman L fram camera and, if you buy one of the models without the depth of field calculatr you can easily add it later. On the Horseman scene look also for late model 450 series cameras (replaced by the current LE-LS-LX ~ 1995). The 450 has all the geared movements of the LS but not the base tilts.

As for the Horseman and very long rails, the sxcpandable rail will take you to 860mm when fully expanded, there is a 1000mm rail and you can add and extend to your heart's desire so that shouldn't be a problem either.

Look hard at what you are getting when you buy, no matter what system you choose. The more 'goodies' that come with it th ebetter off you are as each little piece costs a fortune if you need to buy it separately. This is true for Sinar, Horseman or Arca. Even used a lot of separeate items can get pricy but it is no tuncommon to see a system in any of these three 'flavors' that includes the standard bellows, bag bellows, and an additional rail as part of the setup.

Luck

I also have to vote for the used Cambo. I purchased a used Cambo SC on Ebay a couple of years ago in excellent condition for just under $400. This camera has served me well. I have also added several accessories such as the compendium hood/filter holder, right angle finder, lensboards, etc..also purchased on Ebay. It is a solid user and you won't be disappointed.

You would have a very difficult time trying to find more camera then a Linhof Kardan M for your budget.

All metal construction, 18" long geared monorail, 75° of center tilt front and rear, 360° swing front and rear, 3.3" of rise front and rear, 5" shift front and rear.

Can be used with longer rails and bellows and accepts all Linhof 45 accessories. Can be converted into a Kardan GTE.

Seperate locks on all movements. 65mm and longer lenses on flat boards. 35 to 58mm on large recessed boards.

Retal is under $1200.00. Even less if you are in a photo school.

I use a cambo scx in the studio which is very much like the legend series that they produce now. It uses 6x6 lensboards and has geared rise and fall and shift. the other movements are friction, but they are all there. You can twist this thing into a pretzel. Used gear is really eazy to find and the camera accepts all of the accessories for the newer cambo models. It is built like a tank, professional looking so you don't freak any clients, and after a few too many years I have never had any problems with it. This is the best part. I got mine with a lensboard on that auction site for 162.00 plus shipping. It was a great deal that I couldn't even come close to with a sinar. Thanks