D810 - Use of Memory cards

erik_christensen3

I have just had a small “heart attack”, as after a 10 days photo tour, the memory cards were empty, when I wanted to transfer the photos to the computer!!

The settings for the cards were/are: SD primary and CF overflow both Sandisk 64GB

When starting the SD card is estimated to 712 photos and at a certain time I noticed, that the counter was on 142, which I assumed would be the overflow and therefore on the CF card. CF card in the card reader said empty and same for SD. Enter the cards in the camera again – empty!! That was when I said something very loud. I tried then again in the computer, and the SD card then showed folder 101 and 102 and there was all my photos, and the CF was empty, which should then be correct.

I had not asked the camera to make a 2nd folder, and I therefore do not understand, when it will write the photos on the “overflow” card.

Any one with a short explanation to a now happy man?

I think the camera will start a new folder when the image number in the current folder hits 9999. That is, 9999 is in the image file name; there maybe be well fewer than 9999 images inside that folder. Very few cards can hold 10K images unless you only shoot JPG basic.

For example, if the first image file is #9990, there may only be 10 images in the folder, but once it reaches #9999, it switches to a new folder.

The memory card has to be full before it overflows to the next card. However, I highly recommend the backup mode instead of overflow, especially since you are using the less reliable SD cards.

Edited by ShunCheung

ShunCheung thank you very much. Yes of course your explanation is the reason; the estimated 712 photos and the current folder hits 9999 was about the same time, and I did not focus on the 9999 counter at all. the SD cards am using are SDXC II of SanDisk and one from Lexar, I only mentioned SD for short. I think, I will start using the CF card for backup in future, as I cannot see an situation, where I will fill the 64gb card in one dayu, and I have more cards in case. Thank you

I always set the second card to "back up." What's the purpose of having a second card if not that?

Kent in SD

normally I empty the cards every evening, but it happens like 2 weeks ago, I went on a 10 days tour without computer, so then it is only for volume! However, that strategy has been change to backup since last weekend.

Erik, I've had card recognition errors similar to yours lately. Fortunately only with cards I was using to transfer files between computers. I still had copies of the files untouched.

On at least one occasion I put it down to poor contact between card and reader, and on other occasions it seemed to be a lack of USB communication. As in your case, a reboot of the computer or simple re-insertion of the card sorted the problem.

Incidentally, I recently found out that Windows has difficulty removing a partition from USB-connected flash memory. It can be done by command line, but not from the disk manager interface - weird. Well, it would be weird for any other vendor than MS!

"There's also the Menu option that when 'asked' to play images it shows images from ALL FOLDERS, not just CURRENT FOLDER."

- That menu option also allows Nikon DSLRs to display JPEGs from (some) other cameras as well Mike. If you're in the habit of swapping cards between, say Sony and Nikon.

Edited by rodeo_joe|1
  • Like 1

I will in future use the secondary card for backup - old man playing safe

I am far from a computer expert, however, I have both a win8 and win10 machine, and for my use, the win8 is more stable and only used for photos and editing.

I thank all of you for the input - nice still to be able to learn a little here and there.

I always set the second card to "back up." What's the purpose of having a second card if not that?

I use SD for JPEGs for convenience (and because they're smaller and won't slow the write down as much as putting a big raw file on a slower medium) and raw to CF (or XQD). I can stick the SD card in many computers and get at usable JPEGs in a hurry. If I'm going to process the raw files anyway, I usually have a dedicated card reader available and can use the faster medium. Failures are pretty rare.

There's also the Menu option that when 'asked' to play images it shows images from ALL FOLDERS, not just CURRENT FOLDER.

Huh. I forgot that existed, and completely failed to register that it would matter when at the 9999 roll-over.

• Like 1

This is why I always carry a computer or some other peripheral to store the images in addition to the cards. It is a little cumbersome but it means you do review things as you go along.

I think, it was the first time in 11 years, that I did not bring a computer along, as this time I travelled 1700km to the northern Vietnam and then I used motorbike for 10 days, and I did not see, how how I could carry a laptop in the luggage. The roads are from medium to terrible. I am by car next time together with my laptop and external HDs