Nikon Wednesday 2018: #33

Matt Laur

Just returned from Glacier. It was quite smoky there, most of my photos are pretty hazy so it wasn't the most photographic trip. But here are a couple. D750+24-85VR.

Many Glacier Hotel, from the Swiftcurrent Lake trail.

[ATTACH=full]1257936[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]1257937[/ATTACH]

Grinnell Point at Sunrise, from the Many Glacier Hotel.

[ATTACH=full]1257938[/ATTACH]

Such a beautiful place. My mom lives about 30 miles outside of Glacier. We were supposed to go visit next month, but a job transfer most of the way across country kind of put the brakes on that trip. The good part of the move is now that we're in Utah, we're only a day away from there. You mention the smoke, it's been very smoky here as well. Between the smoke and getting used to the elevation, getting out and doing very much so far has been a challenge.

• Like 2

It's been a while since I've had a chance to get out with the camera, but have gotten moved and am enjoying the new scenery. Here are a couple of smoke enhanced sunset shots from just off of the Great Salt Lake. I had planned on getting closer to the shoreline, but what I didn't see on the aerial view of where I was is where I thought there were trails, they had put in a shooting range (not the kind of shots I was wanting to get).

DSC_0081_00036.thumb.jpg.b2b891a262583fd7959580257ca8818b.jpg

DSC_0043_00036.thumb.jpg.439f3809b4f129491962a32e2b11108c.jpg

• Like 2

Probably at the same place mine is when I could actually make use of it - safely at home? Or in the hotel? Left in the car?

It was my last day in London and the tripod was packed in my to be checked suitcase. It was my 1-series Gitzo and it's a bit on the flimsy side for use on a heavy camera which reduced my motivation to carry it. Maybe a 2-series would be a better choice for traveling in a city. A 24mm or 19mm lens can be held steady by lesser tripods but I'm also concerned about the ease of tripping into a small tripod's legs etc. 3-series is my normal everyday tripod but it feels a bit heavy to carry around in a city. Maybe next time I will use the tripod more.

Such a beautiful place. My mom lives about 30 miles outside of Glacier. We were supposed to go visit next month, but a job transfer most of the way across country kind of put the brakes on that trip. The good part of the move is now that we're in Utah, we're only a day away from there. You mention the smoke, it's been very smoky here as well. Between the smoke and getting used to the elevation, getting out and doing very much so far has been a challenge.

Hey I'm in Utah, too. Yes, SLC has been terrible this summer. And it has been hard to breathe some days, regardless of one's adjustment to the altitude. Even escaping to the mountains it's still been smoky.

Evidently Glacier is now on fire, so it's even more smoky there. :(

Hey I'm in Utah, too. Yes, SLC has been terrible this summer. And it has been hard to breathe some days, regardless of one's adjustment to the altitude. Even escaping to the mountains it's still been smoky.

Evidently Glacier is now on fire, so it's even more smoky there. :(

I've not spoken with my mom in a few days. I'd not heard they had a fire there. Always sad. We've only been out here a couple of weeks so have not had a lot of opportunities to get out and explore. I'm planning on heading out to Antelope Island State Park this Saturday to try to get some nice shots. It sounds like they have some pretty good night views out there as well, hope to see the Milky Way for the first time in quite a few years.

I've not spoken with my mom in a few days. I'd not heard they had a fire there. Always sad. We've only been out here a couple of weeks so have not had a lot of opportunities to get out and explore. I'm planning on heading out to Antelope Island State Park this Saturday to try to get some nice shots. It sounds like they have some pretty good night views out there as well, hope to see the Milky Way for the first time in quite a few years.

From Antelope Island you may not get much great night skyviews...light pollution from the valley out there. There are great sunsets there, I love the lake actually. You may have to go further out to the west desert to get away from light pollution. Lots of people go up to Mirror Lake for milky way. I've tried a couple places in Big Cottonwood and there's still lots of light up there, but it was fun to experiment and try to get my feet wet. Up at the top of Guardsman's Pass you'd have some great views but still might have some light pollution, but I haven't done enough nightscape photography though to be any kind of expert. There's a facebook group called Utah Nightscape or something like that. They have some meetups, I just usually can't go because of work. (How long to retirement? Oh, that long...hmm.) But if you're on FB, check them out.

From Antelope Island you may not get much great night skyviews...light pollution from the valley out there. There are great sunsets there, I love the lake actually. You may have to go further out to the west desert to get away from light pollution. Lots of people go up to Mirror Lake for milky way. I've tried a couple places in Big Cottonwood and there's still lots of light up there, but it was fun to experiment and try to get my feet wet. Up at the top of Guardsman's Pass you'd have some great views but still might have some light pollution, but I haven't done enough nightscape photography though to be any kind of expert. There's a facebook group called Utah Nightscape or something like that. They have some meetups, I just usually can't go because of work. (How long to retirement? Oh, that long...hmm.) But if you're on FB, check them out.

I'll have to check out some of the places you mentioned. I don't do FB (paranoid information security person here). I totally agree with the retirement, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, but I think it might be a train. I was hoping since Antelope Island was designated as a dark sky place that I might get some good views. We'll see how it goes and will definitely be posting something on here soon.

• Like 1

I'll have to check out some of the places you mentioned. I don't do FB (paranoid information security person here). I totally agree with the retirement, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, but I think it might be a train. I was hoping since Antelope Island was designated as a dark sky place that I might get some good views. We'll see how it goes and will definitely be posting something on here soon.

Wow, I'm shocked to learn that! but it's true! Hmmm. Maybe I rushed to judgement. Maybe you'll see me out there! Thanks for the info!

Dark Skies | Utah State Parks

I'm running late as usual. Vancouver is also very smokey, but more of "what I did on my holidays" next week. Here's a 12.9kn ebb tide at Skookumchuck Narrows on the Sunshine Coast - with a tour boat running the whirlpools. Too far for me to bring a tripod either (although in London I don't think I'd bother - too many people to trip over).

850_7945_openWith.thumb.jpg.cfa18248c1ec567381a3801c9b08da79.jpg

Edited by Andrew Garrard
  • Like 4

And finally, Skookumchuck again, this time a 15kn flow tide - which means a big standing wave, that sporty types like to make use of. Total 16km trekked to and from rapids that day, and very much not flat; I'm not built for that, and it took a few days before I could walk again.

850_8638_openWith.thumb.jpg.6ce81918ce14d60a69aa5bed70805200.jpg

Edited by Andrew Garrard
  • Like 4

You may recall my recent difficulties with dragonflies. It turns out Canadian dragonflies are more relaxed, eh? This one decided to have lunch in front of me. I thought they were mating, then realised it was a dragonfly eating a damselfly (or other smaller dragonfly). Sadly, Tamron 24-70 - not the lens I'd have chosen for this event.

850_8403_openWith.thumb.jpg.23951ddedbab4fe6ffdd62a02eae614f.jpg

• Like 3

Was in Colorado this week and the smoke from California all the way to the Springs (Colorado Springs, that is) was heinous. But tried my best - here's one with my Nikon F, 28-85mm Nikkor, Tri-X developed in D76. The AM sky is just haze as far as the eye can see.

758239433_oldwest.thumb.jpg.0a0e12543b06e6527935279a7d6a5edf.jpg

• Like 5

"It's not what you look at that matters. It's what you see."

-Henry David Thoreau

Bert

Dr. Bertrand's Patient Stories: A podcast dedicated to stories of being. \\anchor.fm/bertrand0

FineArtAmerica: https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/bertrand-liang

Was in Colorado this week and the smoke from California all the way to the Springs (Colorado Springs, that is) was heinous. But tried my best - here's one with my Nikon F, 28-85mm Nikkor, Tri-X developed in D76. The AM sky is just haze as far as the eye can see.

[ATTACH=full]1258639[/ATTACH]

Some of the smoke could be from the fires in Utah as well, not as much press but still producing lots of smoke.

• Like 1

Some of the smoke could be from the fires in Utah as well, not as much press but still producing lots of smoke.

Agree. When driving through parts of UT the ash and smoke was significant.

"It's not what you look at that matters. It's what you see."

-Henry David Thoreau

Bert

Dr. Bertrand's Patient Stories: A podcast dedicated to stories of being. \\anchor.fm/bertrand0

FineArtAmerica: https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/bertrand-liang