Henri Cartier-Bresson Photos

bob l

Bill

What exactly do you think sucks about HCB's work? I'm really curious becasue when you factor in that most of this work was done from the early '30's to early '40's I think its fantastic. HCB didn't have Pentax 6x7's or quantum Qflashes, He made do with capturing the subject in his or her enviroment With a simple Leica and 50mm lens. Classic.

His photos define photography for me. None of it is staged. All are as real to life as you or I .

"Our task is to perceive reality, almost simultaneously recording it in the sketchbook which is our camera. We must neither try to manipulate reality while we are shooting, nor manipulate the results in the darkroom. These tricks are patenly discernable to those who have eyes to see."

HCB- The Decisive Moment

"Real to life?" -nonsense, you guys are both digital artifacts, like

me. Anyway, HCB's portraits are very uneven. the Faulkner-with-dogs

and the Chanel lack any graphic strength and are just snaps; whereas

his Sartre, Capote and above all his Matisse are definitive

environmental portraits. At least he didn't pour the same sauce over

everyone, like most of Avedon.........

>> I've always felt that his portraiture sucks

Thanks, that's really an articulate statement. In fact, many of his portraits captured the essence of person or situation. For example, there's the one of Nehru together with Lord and Lady Mountbatten at a ceremony for Indian independence for which Mountbatten had been sent as viceroy to sign. Mountbatten is tanding, serious, facing a crowd while his wife and Nehru are guffawing over a shared joke. Today, we know that they were lovers, which HCB could not have known when he took the picture. In another picture, Mme Curie and her husband are standing in identical postures. In still another, the Duke and Duchess of Windsor are sitting with the Duke fixed in an admiring look at the Duchess -- they both look emply. I could go on and on. HCB was a fantastic portraitist, whose style was later picked up by Arnold Newman.

--Mitch/Bangkok

Mitch, the virtues you are assigning to those shots depend on inside

dope or a knowledge of historical contex. When you remove them, what

is left?

For example,I wish I were rich enough to buy a print of Avedon's

brilliant shot of Andy Warhol showing the scar he got when he was shot

by Valerie Solanas of S.C.U.M. -The Society for Cutting Up Men. Warhol

is doing a take-off, with his usual straight face, of the moment when

Lyndon Johnson grossed out the Washington press corps by showing them

his appendectomy scar. It was a moment of supreme arrogance -LBJ

controlled both houses of congress and had a supreme court that was

6-3 in his favor- and it was also a moment of truly stupid bad taste

in which Johnson created a really durable image of himself as a fool.

Warhol, whose art consisted mostly of carefully targeted replication

of tasteless things, is Cutting Up LBJ by replicating it. And Avedon

replicates him replicating it, as brilliant a Portrait of the Artist

as I can imagine.

But its brilliance is not photographic. It depends on you knowing the

context, or in this case, the multiple contexts. "You hadda be there."

As a photograph it gets a B-..

HCB captures the essence of the person...in a moment in time...

i did NOT appreciate Karsh.i am now in awe.

sure,its not my way...i shoot loose and go for "spirit".

the hardest portrait assignment i had to do...a simple straight shot of a smiling otho-dentist for a brochure!!!people mostly hate my portraits,but i do them anyway!and that comment about Ansel..wow everybody here is better than all the great names,wonder which planet i've been too.

Try duplicate those "poor" images.There are lots of willing subjects,dress 'em up,try do exact copies...thats what painters do...

Hey and the great outdoors is also there.Go!

Some of his portraits are brilliant - in particular, I've always liked the Matisse one, but also the portrait of Duchamp, which I think is splendid (and have we mentioned the Capote portrait yet?). While many other of the portraits . . . lose something in the move from that moment to this - too formalist, and perhaps to self-consciously informal. But that's the nature of the beast, isn't it? You don't get the truly seminal, great portraits, without also a lot of so-so ones, or dross, even. Even God produces dross, once in a while - just look around!

>>Mitch, the virtues you are assigning to those shots depend on inside dope

>>or a knowledge of historical contex. When you remove them, what is left?

But that's the point! For example, HCB didn't know that Nehru and Lady Mountbatten were lovers, but his picture shows how they react to each other. HCB portaits often show the esence of the subjects.

--Mitch/Bangkok

Or, to put it a bit differently,<br>

in the forum infested with spirers and scherbas there is no place for HCB references. Quite.<Br>

With marvellous lack of sensitivity to the ironic in life, they just voted him out of their nice company.<br>

What, on a more serious note, is telling. Because seeing philosophical, ironic etc. <b>in life itself</b> is quintessential to the HCB vision. People blind to that are ready to dismiss his art as snapshots.<br>

Some see irony in life and wince at crudeness of letterman "jokes" - others guffaw at "comedian" jim carey's crown achievement - butt talk.

<p>

Being subtle and enlightened by artistic tradition, HCB work presupposes intelligence on the part of the viewer.

Art is subjective and fluid. What is perceived as beutiful and soulful to me maybe a snap shop to you. So what are we discussing here? HCB wasn't the greatest? Maybe not but those who say he should be banned here are completely out of line.

I think sprier's just angry that HCB used a Leica and not a Konica Hexar.

Jeff Spirer essentially believes that "trying to contain art" is a bad thing. He also believes that HCB fans "try to contain" other people's art within HCB's framework.

The problem with Jeff Spirer's beliefs is that "containing" criticism is also a bad thing. And by suggesting that HCB should be banned from discussing, we are trying to "contain" criticism.