How do you justify a 2nd M6TTL body?

I am the process of getting a 2nd M6TTL body, a 0.58 version to

complement the 0.72TTL I have.

I am in no intrest of adding a M6 Classic nor a M2, M3 etc.

What were the reasons you added a 2nd body?

Was it for having B/W film in one body, colour in the other?

Was it for having each lens to its dedicated body?

Please let me have your reasons.

Patrik

Patrick, There are many reasons.

One for color, the other for black and white.

One(.72/.85) for ultra-high speed lenses wide open; the other(.58) for the widers lenses.

The second box as a back-up if you are unfortunate to have a break down.

The ability to use a second focal length without changing lenses on the fly.( a great time to drop one)

The ability to have a fast film and a slow film available at the same time.

Patrik,

You mentioned the reasons for a second body. You just have to check if those reasons matter to you and your kind of photography.

I went through that process very recently : I bought a second body .58 M6 TTL (I already had a .72 M6TTL) 2 weeks ago, as I had a good opportunity to buy one at a very good price.

Several reasons for this, depending on the situation :

. when trekking, and away from civilization for some time, I now have a back-up, which I appreciate (you never know) and it can also be used for some other purposes,

. this back-up is also convenient to have 2 different kind of films

at the same time (depending on the situation : one for color slides, the other for b&w or 2 different speeds),

. I also like to shoot people (friends, family) and it is often interesting to have 2 different lenses always ready (50mm & 90mm as far as I am concerned).

Cheers

Didier.

For myself I bought a second M6TTL (.72 LHSA) after using my first body (.72), and seeing that I prefered shooting with my M's. I sold off the Nikon gear to do my second. One body is for color and the other for BW. I like the .58 for wide angle work. I did add a third body, M4-2, that I got for a price that I could not turn down. So now I shoot BW in my two M6TTL's (BW is my primary choice) and keep the M4-2 loaded with color when I carry my full gear. The 6's of course have different lenses attached.

So what is your reason wantinga second body?

Happy snaps

Chip

Patrik, I have only one 35mm lens (f2 Asph), and it came with a crooked hood. It's under warranty so I sent it to Leica New Jersey after a year (it took a while for the frustration to build up). The lens is now in Germany for three months to straighten the hood by a few millimeters. Sometimes one body, one lens doesn't work. I have other lenses so I'm fine, but I have no 35. I intend to keep it as long as I can, so having another lens down the road is not a bad idea. Of course, money then becomes the overriding issue. On Ebay you can get some great deals, but only buy from legitimate sellers. You can get M2,3,4 bodies at low prices. Much lower than M6 TTL's.

I was getting out of focus pictures, then I discovered the rangefinder on my 0.58 was out of alignment. I sent that to Leica and they mailed it back in less than two weeks. They are a superb company, but a lot of their customers are cranky farts, who expect things back in a week. In other camera systems they just throw away an electronic part and put in a new one, so people are spoiled by the speed of the turn around.

Choice. I have an M6/.72 and an M6/.85. I like to shoot with a 50/1.4, an ancient 90/2.8 (sparingly) and an even older 135/4.0. Sometimes both are loaded with color or b&w, sometimes not. If you plan on using both bodies, get the second one. If you plan to leave it sitting on a shelf,don't waste your money.

Patrik,

I think craving a second body is a respectable enough justification for bying it:-) I bought a .85 body to go with my .72(both TTLs). What a liberating experinece (an I am talking not only about my checking account). With two bodies you can be more flexible with what films and lenses you use. Leica M is a pack animal; they like each other and work well together.

Good luck!

Dan. Only 4? How conservative of you.

I now have 5 Ms, after leaning down from 6 and a Hexar RF/M

mount).

2 M7s (.072 & .085) for weddings where automation and different

pre-mounted focal lengths are a bit of help when moving so fast

and furious. I never use them for anything else but paying work.

2 black paint M6 ttls because I am a sick person and need

therapy. My friends did an intervention, and I now go to BPA

meetings twice weekly.

One M6 ttl Titanium and 3 Titanium lenses which I use for

personal pleasure (not that kind you perverts, I'm not that sick).

More like travel and family photos where using a mechanical

camera is such a kick.

<p>I took the simple, one for color film (silver body), one for B&W film (black body) approach. Both bodies are otherwise the same (0.72 finder) for overall simplicity and similarity of features. Obviously, that also satisfies the backup requirement.</p>

<p>The best <i>justification</i> for a second body, however, is that you just <i>want</i> it. ;-) </p>

Gerry,

You raised a good idea. Though I personally would recommend that if the funds are available for the body and still have some for film, then teh Leica is still the way to go. One nice thing about Leicas is that if the need ever arose that yuou needed cash you can get alot of it back.

I thought about buying the R2's and Leica glass when I first got started with the M series. But there was something about the R2 and its feel that left me wanting. So hence the M's that I have now.

Happy snaps

Chip

I thought that I'd pared down to 3 M bodies from 5 when I aquired a fourth, plus I have a CL and a Bessa L for my 15. When the price is right, the condition is better than your worst one, and you can sell the worst one for a fair amount more than the latest one cost, who's to argue? It's better than money in the bank, or in stocks these days! I did get rid of most all of my Leicaflex/R outfit (4 bodies and a bunch of glass) and most of my duplicate focal length M lenses. But when the next irresistable deal comes along I strongly suspect that I'll lay out the money.

Dear Patrik,

If you have two lenses a second body is very useful. You don't lose time changing lenses. Also you lessen the chances of dropping your lens in the middle of changing it.

If you have two bodies, you need a third body as a back up, or for different film.

Which means you need a fourth body in case you need a backup body for the body with the different film.

Which means you better buy a fifth body, because, don't forget, you have two lenses. So you have two bodies for each kind of film and a back up body.

Which means you should have six bodies. So you have two bodies for one kind of film and two bodies for the other kind of film and a back up body for each. That ought to take care of you. Six Leica M bodies should be enough for one person.

Then you get a third lens...

But, seriously, Patrik, get the second body and enjoy it in good health. The O.58 is a great companion to the 0.72.