W/NW Pic-O'-The-Week #17

Uhooru

bertliang, I feel like Oliver in the Dickens novel: 'please sir, can I have some more?' Can I, and can we?. I would take some umbrage at the Buddha, if that was what it noted about suffering - looking up I could live with. But that is an aside. So, an invitation to tell us a bit more. And if you don't, well no harm done. But, bertliang, that was an evocative shot. I remember, from my youth, what Martin Heidegger said about language - 'it calls'. Now whatever you think about Heidegger (and his mistress, Hannah Arendt), I think this photo, your photo, 'calls'. Tell us a bit more, if you would, about its making and its call. Regards, Arthur (apiarist1)

bertliang, I feel like Oliver in the Dickens novel: 'please sir, can I have some more?' Can I, and can we?. I would take some umbrage at the Buddha, if that was what it noted about suffering - looking up I could live with. But that is an aside. So, an invitation to tell us a bit more. And if you don't, well no harm done. But, bertliang, that was an evocative shot. I remember, from my youth, what Martin Heidegger said about language - 'it calls'. Now whatever you think about Heidegger (and his mistress, Hannah Arendt), I think this photo, your photo, 'calls'. Tell us a bit more, if you would, about its making and its call. Regards, Arthur (apiarist1)

Ha! The Buddha also gives a path to remove suffering as well. Well, this is a mundane stairwell - a place I regularly stop in my travels for energy access. This is one of the faux stairwells a propos to the Spanish Southern California influence. It just happened to be a challenging day. Went down the dark stairwell, and looked up to see the light. Xtol 1:1, combined with 1+100 Rodinal to capture the midtones of Tri-X. No Crop. And as a former student in philosophy, MH perhaps would agree with the Buddha, "Why are there beings at all, instead of Nothing?"

"It's not what you look at that matters. It's what you see."

-Henry David Thoreau

Bert

Dr. Bertrand's Patient Stories: A podcast dedicated to stories of being. \\anchor.fm/bertrand0

FineArtAmerica: https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/bertrand-liang

Ah, bertliang, I have just used that quote, or a version of it, in an assignment I am doing just now - it is due at 11.59 pm tomorrow (late age student). You touch raw nerves:

‘The boy listened to the Nightingale’s song. He thought: why is there anything at all and not nothing instead?...’

John Crowley, The Nightingale Sings at Night.

I also used (I have been severely reprimanded for my insouciant disregard for word limits in the past, but at my age, who gives a rat's dangle. I continue to study because it keeps my brain alive) another quote:

‘When you have lived as long as I have, the div replied, you find that cruelty and benevolence are but shades of the same colour’

Khaled Hosseini, And the Mountain Echoed: A Novel. ( a div is a malevolent creature. If Hosseini’s judgement is right, then a choice between good and evil, and indeed, the capacity to recognize the difference in order to make that choice, may not mean much at all. And of course, benevolence and cruelty may be just that, ‘shades of the same colour’.

I am doing an assignment on, would you believe, Genesis 1 & 2. This sort of rubbish comes to us in old age. I have done the arts, the sciences, law, and now in my dotage, am doing theology. Keep seeking the light, bertliang, and your stairwell is not mundane. I think you know that. Thanks. So another shot, of a post anzac day service of a father and his child, here at Wingham. We are blessed with a town square for events (we have a 'scottish' festival coming up soon, though for the life of me, I cannot think what Scotland has to do with the rural hinterland of the mid north coast of Australia). Done with the revitalised zorki 5 and its 5cm Fed collapsible, and with fp4. Keep safe, bertliang

96705966_anzacday1.thumb.jpg.5d397116b2fd1372a53efc425f60c68d.jpg

• Like 2

Ah, bertliang, I have just used that quote, or a version of it, in an assignment I am doing just now - it is due at 11.59 pm tomorrow (late age student). You touch raw nerves:

‘The boy listened to the Nightingale’s song. He thought: why is there anything at all and not nothing instead?...’

John Crowley, The Nightingale Sings at Night.

I also used (I have been severely reprimanded for my insouciant disregard for word limits in the past, but at my age, who gives a rat's dangle. I continue to study because it keeps my brain alive) another quote:

‘When you have lived as long as I have, the div replied, you find that cruelty and benevolence are but shades of the same colour’

Khaled Hosseini, And the Mountain Echoed: A Novel. ( a div is a malevolent creature. If Hosseini’s judgement is right, then a choice between good and evil, and indeed, the capacity to recognize the difference in order to make that choice, may not mean much at all. And of course, benevolence and cruelty may be just that, ‘shades of the same colour’.

I am doing an assignment on, would you believe, Genesis 1 & 2. This sort of rubbish comes to us in old age. I have done the arts, the sciences, law, and now in my dotage, am doing theology. Keep seeking the light, bertliang, and your stairwell is not mundane. I think you know that. Thanks. So another shot, of a post anzac day service of a father and his child, here at Wingham. We are blessed with a town square for events (we have a 'scottish' festival coming up soon, though for the life of me, I cannot think what Scotland has to do with the rural hinterland of the mid north coast of Australia). Done with the revitalised zorki 5 and its 5cm Fed collapsible, and with fp4. Keep safe, bertliang

[ATTACH=full]1243411[/ATTACH]

That's a wondrous expression on the child, arthur_mcculloch, and one on the adult as well. The tonality is wonderful; what did you use for developer, pray tell?

You are indeed un homme de la renaissance, and more credit to you for being such. As much as philosophical discourse is where said journey started, personally have not come back yet full circle, but did indeed experience those from St. Thomas to Kant, but after sciences, law, business and medicine, will consider philosophy once more at time moves onward. The Four Noble Truths continue to influence, as does in contrast Nietzsche, where there are no facts, only interpretations. But the key to recall, and is especially true, is “We should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.”

12421738064_98b6dd3bdc_b.jpg by bc50099

• Like 1

"It's not what you look at that matters. It's what you see."

-Henry David Thoreau

Bert

Dr. Bertrand's Patient Stories: A podcast dedicated to stories of being. \\anchor.fm/bertrand0

FineArtAmerica: https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/bertrand-liang