Hot Bidding on a Summilux Asph?!

mark_b.

I thought that was a more current lens than that. When did the Aspherical come out?

I don't read German, and I can't tell from the picture if it's a "special" lens. Doesn't look like it though. The bidding closed at only $200 or so more than you can buy one brand new out of New York for.

Randy

Mark. The winner got a real bargain, at about $ 2550 USD equivalent. That lens normally sells for around $ 4000. It is a first version Aspherical, the one with two hand ground and polished aspherical elements. It is not the much more common second version ASPH., which has only one aspherical element produced by a glass moulding technique. The first version as engraved "Aspherical" and has SN 3459xxx or 346xxxx (less than 1,000 made), while the second version has later SNs and many more made.

Roger, I didn't see the lens that you are talking about, but I can tell you about the 35/2.0 Summicron in original SM (I'm talking about the 8-element first version lens, not the recent 35/2.- ASPH. in SM that was issued for the Japanese market).

There were an estimated 577 of these original SM 35/2.0 lenses made. I say "estimated" because there may have been others made to special order which were not included in those figures. Besides these original SM lenses (which are rare, by anyone's standards), there are the so-called "convertible" lenses:

Some of the early 35/2.0 first vversion BM lenses were actually built on a SM chassis, with a factory installed screw to bayonet adapter. When this adapter is removed, you have a SM lens. You can tell them apart, becuase the original SM lens focusses down to 3'4" (1 m), while the BM version converted to SM has scales that go down to 28 in. (0. 7 m).

The Summilux 35 ASPHERICAL was made in 1990 and 1991 according to Richard Huenecke's Leica M6 book. A production run of 2000 items was planned, due to a high rejection rate of aspherical lens elements fewer than 2000 were made. Exact figures known only to Leica.

2389 euro is a "bargain" for this lens, I've seen this lens in a shop shortly after introduction, it was sold for 2836 euro.

You guys reminded me a deal which I missed abouta year and half ago.

A guy offered me a kit of M6 Titanium (not the TTL), 35/1.4 Aspherical, a 90/2.8 and a 28 viewfinder for a total of C$5,000. The lens did say the full word aspherical. Even though I did know the rarity of this lens, I wanted to buy the set but hesitated (my wallet actually). Two days later I talked to the guy (he actually was a cameera store owner)and said I wanted it. But another guy bought it the day before.

Eliot and Robert,

I am not suggesting we should bid along with them. Robert is right, most of the time they are just 'tracking' for interesting and rare items; so why not let them do the leg work for you? Oh, I forgot to mention Umana, he has quite an incredible shop in Roma, Italy....