Can the Bronica S2 shoot 35mm film using an adapter?

Ray S

Can the Bronica S2 shoot 35mm film using an adapter?

I purchased an adapter recently (just $10) and tried using it to shoot 35mm film in my s2. Unfortunately the s2's shutter wouldnt fire. I tried with it in both 120 and 220 modes (in case it mattered) but the shutter never cocked.

Anyone else tried this on an S2 and got it to work and can maybe shed some light on what I'm doing wrong?

TIA!

Photog enjoying my various lenses, bodies, & media.

I just tried 35mm in an S2 back. The film winds on through to the end of the roll and never cocks the shutter.

Emboldened by this experiment I tried 35mm in a Bronica SQ-A with 220 back. This camera winds, cocks and shoots the film perfectly. It took about 18" of film leader getting to the 1st frame and managed 16 exposures on a 36 roll.

• Like 1

Being an old user of the early Bronicas, Ray's question piqued my curiosity, so I googled "bronica s2 35mm back." I got no hits for the S2, S2A, or the EC or ECTL. But I got loads of hits for the SQ and ETR series. It doesn't appear that Bronica made 35mm backs (or adapters) for the S2 or EC series cameras. Personally, I've never really seen the need for them. It's easy enough to have a 35mm camera handy when I'm shooting with one of my medium format cameras.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...