Beginner looking at lightweight cameras.

uncle git

Hi - against all odds I'm due a bonus this year. So the smart thing

to do is invest it, so obviously I'm going to buy a new camera.

I have been hankering after a view camera for a while - mainly because

of movements - I enjoy alot of wide angle work and I find convergance

very disruptive to my vision of what I want to capture with 35mm. The

key is the camera must be lightweight, be able to handle wide lenses

(75mm or 60mm ish) and compact enough to hike with and provide enough

movements for landscape work. I don't really do any studio work at

the moment although I can see myself wanting to experiment with it to

some degree in the future. But for now my primary concern is nature.

The cameras I have been looking at are in no particular order :

Toyo Field CF

Seems to get very mixed reviews - restricted movements, can't handle

very wide lenses without a recessed lensboard. Cheap & lightweight.

Arca Swiss Discovery.

Many movements - arca swiss quality, heavier , more expensive - but a

camera I can grow with. Downsides include expensive accessories.

Sinar F2

Again more money and heavier, quality product. Loads of movements and

a camera that I can grow into. May well be overkill and too heavy for

real field use.

Toho FC-45X

Ultra lightweight with full movments- although it looks less sturdy

than the other options.

I'll probably just purchase a single normal lens to start that has as

much coverage as possible and remains lightweight enough for long

distance hiking.

Anyone have any advice for a very confused newbie ?

PS: Don't tell my Mrs about this plan just yet - she'll have my

danglers off if she finds out ;-)

I think you'll find (or, have found already) that you're working against various trade-offs here, Graeme. A conventional field camera will probably give you the greatest flexibility, but you'll encounter some restrictions with extremely wide lenses.

On a Toyo 45A or 45AX, for example, you'll need a recessed lens board, and at infinity focus on short lenses, the bellows will be rather compressed. The usual wide-angles lenses (e.g. Schneider Super Angulons) also tend to have limited coverage, meaning you may not have enough of an image circle to give the movements you want. In that respect, you might be better off looking at the Super Symmars, which have more ample coverage (but, at a price).

Depending on the budget you have to work with, also look at the K.B. Canham cameras.

I think you should also look at the Wista metal field cameras (I have the SP). Sturdy, compact, relatively light and with a bag bellows available. I used to haul around my Sinar F-1, which is great to work with but difficult to carry (due to bulk, not weight). Since getting the Wista I use 4x5 for personal/travel work much more than I used to.

The Ebony and Canham are a little out of my price range - the bonus isn't that big ;-)

Compactness is also a very important part of it - I want to be able to backpack with a 4x5 rig (I know I'm asking the impossible).

Of the camara's I've looked at the Toho or the discovery look like the leaders - I've been a little scared off the CF Toyo by negative reviews. And I'm thinking the Sinar is just too big and bulky to carry for extended periods of time.

As I've no experience with large format at all I'm not 100% sure what movements I'll actually need for field work at this time.

Graeme, look at the Midwest Photo Exchange website (mpex.com). Midwest imports new Tachihara field cameras and Fujinon lenses, and sells new and used equipment at very reasonable prices. I happen to know that a shipment of Shen Hao HZX 45-AII cameras are on their way, as we speak. Call, or E-mail Jim (jim@mpex.com). Tell him that you saw the recommendation on this website. He will package up your choice of a Tachi or a Shen Hao, with a new, or used, Fuji or Nikon lens. They are both fine, low priced light weight folding field cameras that fit the purpose you described. He ships worldwide. and can save you some money.

At the risk of sounding like Paul Owen, I love my Discovery. I've actually managed to talk two people into buying one over the past month (I've been a very busy girl). It's relatively light-weight and I've been able to travel quite easily with it (I was worried about flying with it, but no problems). The widest lens I've used with it was a 90mm with no problems, so I cannot comment on 60 or 75. My understanding is that there isn't a tremendous difference between it and the pricier F-line, other than the front standard isn't geared (but has enough tension that I don't miss that). It has wayyy more movements than I have ever used.

When I bought it I had initially intended to do studio work with it, taking it outdoors to be the exception. If I was going to do it again and knew I'd be taking it out into the field A LOT, I'd consider something lighter and smaller. I recently saw my first Ebony non-folder, and that thing was amazing (now I really do sound like Paul Owen). The Toho would be another good choice, or the Ikeda. I still love my Discovery, I find it to be very well made and very intuitive for me to use, but I wouldn't take it on a 10-mile hike. It all depends on how far you intend to get from the car with it (and how strong your back is).

The conclusion I finally reached is that most of these cameras are good buys, and particularly if you buy used you can resell them for close to what you paid for them. I guess I would just recommend buying something, anything, get your feet wet, and figure out what you really want and need.

-Jen

I've been using the Toho FC-45X since last July. I can carry it with three lenses and a spotmeter in a light photo backpack. I have a bad back, and I wouldn't be able to handle more, so its lightness and ease of transport were important for me. I also didn't want to be limited in movements as I would have been with a field camera.

I assume you've seen Kerry Thalmann's review at

www.thalmann.com/largeformat/toho.htm

I am very pleased with the camera. It has full movements and can be used easily with wide angle lenses down to 90 mm and with very limited movements with lenses shorter than that. I haven't found any really significant drawbacks to the camera. The drawbacks that exist can be dealt with. One is that it is not as rigid as a heavier monorail camera, but I've done various checks and I don't think camera movement has been a problem for me. I just wait 30 seconds to give everything time to calm down before releasing the shutter. Another problem is that it takes longer to switch from vertical to horizontal format or vice versa than if I had a rotating back. Usually this isn't a problem because I pretty much know what format I want when I set up the camera. But if necessary, I can switch in less than 40 seconds. One problem that bothered me was the fact that the detent positions are not as definite as they might be. I don't know if they are much better on other cameras, but I solved the problem by putting reference marks in appropriate locations so I can now be sure the standards are absolutely parallel. The most serious problem was that the ground glass was not quite bright enough for my aged eyes. I think that would have also been the case for any of the alternatives I considered. I finally got a Maxwell screen, but installing it posed a few problems, which I solved. I am probably now the world's leading expert on that particular task.

If you decide to get the Toho, let me know. I can offer you additional advice on other little tricks I've learned about using it productively.

other pricy things you will need.. very good tripod. , very good meter. lens hood, bag, film and film holder and i like a loop like a slide loop for looking at ground glass. should be blacked out on sides... probably a changeing bag.. things you will need in future.. polaroid back, 6x9 back, more lenses ready load holder... if all this strains the budged you can start with a crown graphic and good new lens and a good meter and heavy tripod three or four film holders..

good luck..

I think most of the possible solutions have been covered but there are a few

others to think about. The Phillips 4x5 is both light and compact but the

company will not be making any new ones for at least another 18 months and

likely longer and it is on the high end pricewise.

The other is the Horseman field cameras. As a group they are among the

lightest and are the most compact metal folding cameras available. They

handle a 75mm lens without a recessed lensboard (and I believe shorter as

well although 75 is the shortest I use). Again they are pricy new but are fairly

readily available at reasonable prices on the used market. The three 4x5

models are the FA � the top of the line with a revolving back and rear

movements; the HD � revolving back and no rear movements; the HF � the

precursor to the FA which has rear movements but a fixed back offering only

horizontal format (this is no tso bad because all it means is you either flip the

tripod or mount a second quick release plate on the side of the camera when

you want to go vertical). The HF is one of the real bargains in the market

today. It was never imported into the US and thus is both little know here and

does not command the price it should. I just bought one from Midwest as a

backup for my FA.

Enjoy