Toyo, Calumet, or Cambo

riley_wilkinson

I need some help clarifying my needs. I've rented a Toyo and a Cambo and I just don't know which 4x5 will work best for me. I'm finally plunging into 4x5 for use in the studio, and it's time to buy one. Do y'all have any recommendations as I begin looking? I am impressed with the Toyo 45GII but not sure I want to spend that much. Any advice?

Riley Wilkinson

Riley@rileywilkinson.com

Riley, the Toyo 45C monorails are less expensive and very functional. I recently spoke to a commercial photographer who was using the inexpensive 45CX, both in his studio, and in the field. It's made with carbon fiber parts, and it is relatively light weight for a full size monorail. Then, there are many of the older Toyo-Omega monorails on the used market, at very low prices. As you can see, I am a Toyo guy.

I recently sold a Toyo 45M on e-bay for $305 with two lens boards, extension rail, film holders, and a case. Since I only do landscapes these days I no longer needed it. It, and the more recent 45G, are all metal and have the same fine machining of the GII, which is much superior to the C, CX, D, etc. The GII has few noticeable changes from the G. The G and M take the same backs, lens boards, bellows, etc. as the GII, C, D, etc. The rail for the 45M is different from the G (is the G rail the same as the GII?). Buying an excellent used 45M or 45G for $300 to $500 on e-bay, or a bit higher from say Lens and Repro, versus paying B&H $2,600 for a new GII without accessories, should be an easy choice.

I have used two different Cambos, the 45NX and 45SF, but not a Legend (I have fiddled with a Legend in the store, but that is it). I have also played with a Toyo 45G. All are different. The Cambo studio models and the Toyos all have rotating backs (the 45SF does not), which is a very nice feature. I think that the quality of both manufacturers is very high, especially at the 45G/Legend level. The controls are different - Which setup is better is probably a question of personal preference. Perhaps the best way to differentiate between the Toyo or Cambo is to look at the cost of the accessories, or see where you can get the best deal used. I am a big advocate of used equipment, and you would probably be happy with either system - especially if the price was right.

Riley, The Toyo is a good camera, I have four of them in daily use

in my studio. Two 8x10 Toyo G's, one 4x5 Toyo GII and one Toyo

F. The F is almost the same as the G and just as functional and

sells for a lot less. Make sure you get one with replacable

bellows so you will be able to use a bag bellows should you

need to, the F model fills the bill perfectly. I once had the older

gray model and that was good too. It had all the moves of the

later ones except the gear driven shifts. The extra parts,

lensboards and bellows lens shades are very available on E**y,

I bought all of mine there. Let us know how you make out with

your decision. Best to you, Paul