Nikon F5 vs Canon eos 1v focus speed (important)

pedro_sincleir

People, I would like to know if someone has a statistic page/data

about Nikon F5 speed (with 28-70mm AF-S lens) VS Canon eos 1V (with

28-70mm f/2.8 L USM or 24-70mm f/2.8mm L USM)

my main question is: what combination camera+lens focus faster (I

REALLY need fast focus)

thanks a lot :)

As long as there is something in the subject to lock focus on, either camera will work.

(Sample shot attached, using a Nikon F5 and a 'slow' AF 300mm f4 Nikkor lens. Faster than a speeding football player, slower than the electric power outage of 13 August 2003.)

Gerald is right...the 'riot' you specify will not be a task, even in dim light, for either AF system. The way you put the question made it seem like it would be something difficult (butterflies in the dark or something).

--evan

I can't speak for the focal length in question but using a 300mm f/2.8 AFS II the F5 is

marginally (and I mean just a very tiny fraction of a split second) faster. A couple of

years I staged a shoot for a magazine cover where a group of models doing 100

yard dashes came directly at me while I focused on the guy at the head of the pack. I

shot

eight rolls (eight 100 yard sprints) and at full motordrive speed and f/2.8 & f/4 only

one frame out of 288 was out of focus and that was because I bumped the auto focus

sensor switch -- and in that frame the #2 runner was in sharp focus.

You might also wish to consider shutter lag. The lag time varies with the EOS-1v (55ms to 191ms) The F100 is listed as 51ms and 51ms. The F5 as 40ms and "--"<br>

<br>

Here is the link...<br>

<br>

<a

href="http://www.lightningtrigger.com/CameraCompatibility6/CameraCompatibility6.htm"

target="_new"><u>http://www.lightningtrigger.com/CameraCompatibility6/CameraCompatibility6.htm</u></a>

<br>

<br>

I dont know if this is a factor you should consider or not. I dont like the idea of inconsistent lag times within the same camera. I think ones reflexes adjust between different cameras, e.g. TLR Rollie and say FE2 w/ MD-12 but I doubt this within one camera. Again I dont know if this is important.

both should work fine. the eos system as a whole focuses faster than the nikon one (due to USM in almost all lenses), but those nikon ones with AFS and VR are the same good. So, if you are only considering high end Nikon and Canon lenses (such as those you mentioned) then there is little difference. If you are considering getting "cheaper" lenses - not necessarily bad ones - like the 50/1.4 or what not, then the canon may be a better choice. I can operate an EOS camera way faster than a Nikon - but that's me and others are different. A riot isn't all that demanding. Shooting cars moving at 150 miles and hour is, or fast moving macro subjects. But with a 28-70 your depth of field can be pretty large and either system will do fine. Choose the ones that feels better ergonomically and fits your way of thinking more accurately... and this will likely make up the difference in theoretical ability since you personally will react more quickly.

Definitely a Leica for riot photography.

Not for the lenses, or AF, but simply for size and being less prominent.

Ask yourself, your standing in the middle of the riot taking pictures.

What do the hooligans thinks: a guy with a big camera taking pictures, is this a cop who takes pictures of us for later identification? Let's go get him.

What does the riotpolice think: a guy with a big camera taking pictures, is this a hooligan who takes pictures of us for later negative publicity? Let's go get him.

And the hooligans who simply come to kick a row: a guy with a big camera taking pictures, wonder how much that camera is going to make? Lets get that camera.