Standard Hasselblad camera straps...safe to use?

jamie drouin

Since I predominantly use my Hasselblad on a tripod I've never

required the leather strap that came with it. But for an upcoming trip

I will need to handhold the camera a lot of the time and, therefore,

will need the strap.<br>

<br>

I've heard a couple of horror stories about the Hassey straps

breaking. Is this the commonly held notion about the standard leather

strap? Should I be looking to upgrade to another model?<br>

<br>

<br>

Best, Jamie.<br><br>

jamie drouin : photographs<br>

<a href="http://www.jamiedrouin.com">http://www.jamiedrouin.com</a><br>

i wasn't aware that they were still making an all-leather strap. however, i do know people that have had problems using the older leather straps (70s vintage and earlier). old leather straps -- blad and leica especially -- can look quite robust but have a dried out weak spot somewhere. tragedy can result. if blad is offering a brand new leather strap i am sure it will be fine. however, the mesh strap is very nice and probably stronger. remember, a blad is a heavy beast. op-tech makes a blad ended strap that is very good. PERSONALLY, i am partial to buying the old leather straps, chopping off the end bits, and then using a thin nylon mesh strap of my own choosing. however, i don't do a lot of handheld with blad. i am sure if i lugged about i mite go for the optech. they can make any object seem to weigh half as much.

Jamie,<br><br>

I have used the narrow leather strap for many years, and it didn't snap (it still is in very good condition).<br>

However, i do like the nylon strap (the current standard strap) a lot better (though its broader ends interfere a lot with camera and magazine operation), and there maybe less risk of it coming apart.<br><br>

So if you are not planning to use the strap much, use the one you have.

p.s. the more modern blad thin leather straps -- the type that are rolled and stitched together over their entire length (just like the nikon thin leather straps) are generally o.k., both because they are newer and because they are a better design. the ones i would be particularly wary of are the 70s and earlier versions that are just a flat leather strap. these are the ones that i was referring to and the ones that have the unexpected prbs.

Not Hasselbald related, but I once had my old Nikon F2 with the original leather strap around my neck (with the 105mm on it) and it snapped. Luckily I cought it before it hit the parking lot. Scince then I have always held the camera as well as the strap (maily with my Bronica).

For my money straps get in the way, they are a flimsy way to carry a camera, and when you're not using the camera its too easy for the strap to snag on something and before you know it your camera gets whisked off a table or car seat or something. I never use a strap with any of my cameras. Since the "Blad isn't designed for hand carrying my solution is to attach a handle to it. The Flash grip attachment works great, gives you something to grip with confidence. I made my own, an "L" shaped thing, with some aluminum flat stock and a quarter/twenty tap and added nice walnut to the handle grip area.

I use the nylon mesh variety of H'blad straps, and while it does its job, there are some minor irritating factors one should be aware of.

First of all, as already suggested, it hampers loading and unloading of film: the longish leather bits btw the clips and the mesh tend to get into way when trying to remove the film insert while the camera is hanging on one's neck. I've found it best to hold the camera in hand for this.

Secondly, it is possible to close the film insert so that the crescent-shaped latch does not close completely. While it is possible to take pictures and there are no light leaks, the strap may force the back to open. This happened to me twice before I realised this. So if you use strap, make sure that the back latch is fully closed so as not to lose any frames!

Jaakko Koskentola

I got a couple of sets of the Hasselblad strap clips and attached them to the wide version of the Domke Gripper strap. It's very comfortable and strong. The Hassie straps are too thin and abrasive for me. If you are using an older all-metal lens, prism, etc., the optech type is very uncomfortable since it bounces with weight. The Hassie, IMHO, does not bounce well around the neck!

I actually like handholding my cameras more than using a tripod and with the Hasselblad, you really need a sturdy tripod - a bit of an investment to risk falling over!

Best of luck on your trip!

Lou

• 4 months later...

Unfortunately, I have to agree w/ Paul Rumohr. These expensive cameras has old fashioned attachment lugs poorly located in the camera body. On the 203FE & 205TCC, the A clip scratches the plastic housing that the control knob resides. Wondered what design engineers they have??

What worse is the left lug's groove is a lot narrower than the right lug's groove.

Helloooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!! Hasselbald!!!!!!!!! Where is the QUALITY CONTROL DEPARTMENT?? Which needless to say will not allow the Optech A clip to slide in.

I have taken my camera to the service center in Fairfield, NJ & the service technician looked at it but cannot help since their design is that way. He even showed my a shell with the same kind of lugs riveted to the body. I cannot understand the logic behind this. Now I am left to come up with a solution to slide the Optech clip to the body.

My solution is to buy an old Hassy strap. Cut off the leather strap, remove the stitches from the Optech strap, & loop the Optech strap around the Hassy A clip. Then sew it again using a sewing machine.

Such hassle are these Hassys!!!!!!!

Any of you have a better idea, please email me. I'd appreciate any smart ideas for dumb cameras.