Super Angulon 65mm F8 coverage

z_z1

I used to own a 65mm SA, and can say it almost covers; at infinity, stopped down to f/16 or f/22, it is close, and certainly usable, if you do not mind the darker corners. I suspect with a centre filter, it would be more functional. Focusing closer, it certainly covers better. I eventually traded mine in for a 75mm f/4.5 which was MUCH better in regards to coverage.

e.

If you do architectural work, the 65SA can be a disappointing lens. It vignettes a bit quicker than one would expect. I am considering the 58mmXL, and I will just have to crop in a bit if it looks too wide. The 58XL needs a CF for 4x5 work. The 72XL has great coverage, is very popular, but it also needs a CF for 4x5 work, and that fiter size is huge, making that 72XL CF quite expensive.

I used to own one until I switched to the SA 65mm f5.6. The f8 lens is very small and a great lens for backpacking. If you are doing architecture it won't fit the bill as its coverage is barely over the 4x5 film area. For landscape work where movements are less necessary the lens works well. I always used it at f22 or f/32 so vignetting has never been a problem and sharpness was good.

I have just started using mine on a Speed Graphic. I found it does not cover 4x5 below f16 and recommend as someone else did, that you use f22 or f32 as a minimum. Yes I too find the corners a bit dark but I will take the wonderful super wide angle. Those CF's even used cost 3 times what I paid for my lens. By the way, it is very sharp.