ROLLEI 35 SE

$495 does sound high for an SE. You might also price the 35S, which is older, but might be less expensive. Downside, though is to access the battery (PX-625) you have to remove the back so you can't change battery while camera is loaded. The PX27 for the SE is accessible from the top of the camera. Both have the excellent Sonnar 40mm f2.8 lens.
  • Like 1

The seller said he will sell it for $400 CND. Still think it's high but you never know...it's a beautiful camera and apparently it comes with a Kanto battery adapter that allows for the use of readily available button cell batteries.

That price sounds better in USD, especially since a battery adapter is included. The 5.6 volt PX-27 was a mercury cell and the current replacement is an alkaline version supplying 6 volts, which isn't usually stocked at most stores. I'm guessing the adapter takes 4 MS-76 or equivalent?

I would recommend taking a look at the "Sold Listings" page in Ebay Germany. Rollei SE described as being in good conditions & fully working are in the €120-160 range, approaching or occasionally being slightly above €200 for "like new" items. At the current exchange rates, even including shipping costs this is way below the figures you have been mentioning. The possibility of US Customs interfering in the process is a totally different problem, though.

Or, you might be willing to go for a more complex way. I paid some €20-30 for my SE, because although fully functional the top plate looked like the camera had been used as an hammer. A repairman with a good reserve of spares replaced the plate with a new one for some €50.

Edited by bonsignore_ezio

Also: I have the adapter, but I would not recommend it. This is because the standard battery holder + adapter sits very tight into the battery compartement. Putting it into place requires but some gentle pressure, but removing it is a heck of a problem, because the release button's spring is not sufficiently strong as to push the whole affair out. Further, it appears that button cells expand as they go through their discharge cycle. This is normally not noticeable, but in the case of my camera it was sufficient to "frreze" the battery compartment solid.

And in any case, it is not necessary. The PX27A alkaline might not be found at any drugstore, but it works perfectly well even with slide fim.