New test Nikkor 70-200mm vr af-s

omar

Has anyone heard anything more concrete as to the price of this new lens? To the folks in Europe, have the dealers that offered these demo's given a likely price. If so, how would that translate to the selling price in the states (based upon pricing differences between US and Europe, not just exchange rate)? Are we talking about a $1000 premium over the 80-200 AFS, or more or less (please)? I am still fairly new to this so I have no idea how the pricing of new equipment runs other than to compare it to Canon's similar offering, the 75-200 IS USM. That zoom goes for about $1700, but comparable Nikkors appear to retail about 20-30% above Canon.

I am starting to save now...I have a feeling it will be some time before I accumulate enough for this one, but it is nice to dream.

Thanks for any info,

Tim

Local store here in Sacramento, California, promises 70-200 VR for this friday at $1899.99. Same store sells the older 80-200 AFS for $1699.99, and Canon's 70-200IS for $1999.99. So the price premium over the older lens is about $200, and is still cheaper than Canon's equivalent.

All,

Thanks for the info on the prices in your respective locales. I was especially surprised to see that Adorama had a listing for it considering I hadn't seen it when I was on their site the other day.

Thanks,

Tim

PS: Cham - if you want a good idea of the feel of the lens, check out the link at the top of this thread. Also, if you look in the archives, I believe there is another review that was done quite recently.

The correct description seems to be AF-on button does not trigger VR, so activating AF using AF-on switch instead of half pressing the shutter would not turn on VR. But the VR would still turn on when you press the shutter release fully. The main question would then be - if you press the shutter fully when the AF already activated by the AF-on switch, would starting the VR introduce a shutter delay? If not, would the VR have enough time to spin up the gyros in time to make a difference during the exposure?