Cheap substitute for Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 VR

somak_ray

Hello All,

I wish to buy a cheap FX wide range zoom covering 24-28ish at the wider side to to 200-300ish at the tele( no shorter than 200) for my Nikon D700.

I presently rent a 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 VR. VR is not important for me but the zoom range is.

I'm thinking of buying a 2nd hand Nikkor 28-200 D or G. Of the D and G which would be better? Can you suggest any other lenses by Nikon which will deliver good quality pictures with the D700 ? Any recommendations for 3rd party lenses?

Thanks

Somak

If you don't mind carrying two zooms, get a 24/28-XXX zoom and a 70-300mm zoom. Image quality, in general, would be better than a super zoom.

If you don't mind the trade-offs and prefer the convenience of a single lens, then the Nikon 28-300mm is the one to get. I do have one and take it out it for casual use. A cheaper alternative is the Tamron 28-300mm, which is marginally softer on the tele end than the Nikon.

I'd avoid the older 28-200 D/G zooms -- soft edges and corners, distortions at the short and and long end, and very soft at 28-30mm and at 180mm-200mm

Edited by photo_galleries