Film Camera Week for June 9

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing, how well XP2 works in HC110, I wouldn't have expected results this nice.

To run quick tests on cameras, I use old Kodak ColorPlus 200 which I got for free as it's all expired, and develop in Rodinal. It's OK enough to see if speeds work and frame spacing is good.... I expected XP2 to be a little like this, not what looks like a perfectly nice behaved B&W film!

371126978_readysetgo.....jpg.ef9cd9af40ad6c70d9a0e764610ea5a6.jpg

Henry Coe 5K/10K run last Sunday. I bought a Twinmate Sekonic light meter and metered this scene before the start with the incident mode. . I am pretty happy with the entire roll for metering and it looks like the meter is going to tighten up my exposures in the future. The meter is analog and I thought the style fit my medium format. Super easy to use.

Arista 400. Shutter speed 125th of a second. My daughter was in the run but she was in the middle of the pack. The first runners you see here are the runners going for a win in their respective categories.

• Like 2

Ross (and Wouter & Rick) Thank you. I love mechanical stuff. This wkend will be more normal stuff - car show. 'Everything from wild paint on hot rods to concours resto of 20s & 30s classics in Woodland Washington's 'Planters Days festival. There's a particular composition (nothing earth-shaking, but I like it) of a '57 Chevy hood that I have in digital, but not film. Been trying to get the film version for about 18 mo.

There was a guy in the neighborhood that owned a 57 Chevy Nomad and I used to drool from afar when I would see it in his driveway. I have not seen one for years at this point. I would probably go for a Model A Pick Up if I could have a hobby car however.

550243207_CalFireHoistTraining......jpg.edc995f9c76a0b51fa3662ae7609dcbc.jpg

I was able to take some photos of the Cal Fire Hoist Training that I went to today. That's the good part but the bad part is I am not very good at Helicopter photos. I overexposed everything and the flat grey color is dreadful. Anyway this is the best shot of 3 on this roll. The next roll will have Firefighters on the Hoist being let down and lifted up. The exposure is going to be poor on those also. I guess that is photography however and you try something new and take your lumps and do a better job later on.

I thought a shutter speed of 1/125th would be a good choice and I think that probably was good. I was just at least 2 stops overexposed and fixed it up in post the best I can. Not sure if a contrast filter would have helped or not. I was using a #8 yellow.

Edited by rossb

Hello

Here are some more from my search for a 400 speed film for bulk.

This is Arista EDU Ultra from the Minolta Himatic 7S, I developed it with HC110 Dil. B

Some of these came out great and others not so much.

I know Rick gets great results with a different developer but I wanted to keep with the HC110 until I figured out which film I wanted to use and then i will experiment with developers.

Don

354501759_Minolta7SAristaEDUUltra400HC110bench.thumb.jpg.19afa61ced2fbf64b069ee165c33af86.jpg

Ross, that chopper shot seems decent.

"I guess that is photography however and you try something new and take your lumps and do a better job later on."

Anyone who won't admit this is either lying or has alzheimer's. If there's any part of photography I've mastered - its the 80-90% good shot with fatal flaws. That 57 chevy shot last yr - I lost the whole roll & don't know how. We take our lumps. Its been so helpful for me when guys would talk about their foul-ups. That way I didn't feel so inept - and my lumps & learning curve was something everyone gets to battle. Your shots w/ that Mami are wonderful. Keep having fun.

Don, I'd love to find a bulk film cheaper than HP5, but I've yet to be that happy with anything else. A side note - HC-110 is super for its versatility, longevity. But virtually none of my best shots have been with it. If its what you know/like best - it makes perfect sense to use it for the standardized test developer. I'll be following what you find, as I'd love to find an economical bulk 400 film also. I'm paying about $67/100'rl locally. Some very experienced guys (including the wonderful Tony Lockerbie) suggested the HP5/PyroHD combination. I have to say its been awful good to me.

Hello Pinklather

Thanks, I have been using HC110 and Rodinal but thought it would be better if I stuck to one developer until I find the film I like then I will try some others.

Yours and Rick Drawbridge's and Tony's photos are always very nice.

I would like to know how to use the Pyro.

I have a roll of Kentmere 400 loaded and then HP5 and Delta 400.

Ross, that chopper shot seems decent.

"I guess that is photography however and you try something new and take your lumps and do a better job later on."

Anyone who won't admit this is either lying or has alzheimer's. If there's any part of photography I've mastered - its the 80-90% good shot with fatal flaws. That 57 chevy shot last yr - I lost the whole roll & don't know how. We take our lumps. Its been so helpful for me when guys would talk about their foul-ups. That way I didn't feel so inept - and my lumps & learning curve was something everyone gets to battle. Your shots w/ that Mami are wonderful. Keep having fun.

Thinking back to the chopper photos they were really just sunny 16 shots. I metered it with the incident meter to be 5 shots over. Two problems happened and one is the meter was not correct. The second problem is more serious as I was dumb enough to believe it. This morning I realized that when you push the button the meter gives you a bizarre reading and with a second push it reads probably true. I do not want to double tap the device so I just returned it to BHPhoto. I will just use my in camera meter as I have been doing for decades.